Zyflo Filmtab (Oral)
Zyflo Filmtab (Oral) Drug and Prescription Information
Zyflo Filmtab (Oral)
Zyflo Filmtab (Oral) Medication Classification
ZILEUTON (By mouth)
Zyflo Filmtab (Oral) Brandname
Zyflo Filmtab (Oral) is used for the Treatment
Zileuton (zye-LOO-ton) Helps prevent and control asthma attacks.
When To Not Use Zyflo Filmtab (Oral)
You should not use this medicine if you have had an allergic reaction to zileuton or if you have liver disease.
How Should You Use Zyflo Filmtab (Oral)
- Your doctor will tell you how much medicine to use and how often. Do not change your dose or stop using the medicine unless you have first talked with your doctor.
- Keep using any other asthma medicines your doctor may have prescribed for you. You should not use less or stop using your other medicines unless your doctor has told you to.
- To control your asthma, you will need to use this medicine every day as prescribed. It may take a few days or weeks before the medicine works. Keep using the medicine as your doctor ordered.
- Your doctor may tell you to use this medicine 4 times each day. You may take the medicine with or without food. If a dose is missed:
- Use the missed dose as soon as possible, unless it is almost time for your next dose.
- Skip the missed dose if it is almost time for your next regular dose.
- You should not use two doses at the same time.
Proper Zyflo Filmtab (Oral) Storage
Store Zyflo Filmtab (Oral) at room temperature away from sunlight and moisture unless otherwise stated by manufacturer's instructions or labelling. Keep Zyflo Filmtab (Oral) and all medications out of the reach of children.
What To Avoid While Using Zyflo Filmtab (Oral)
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
- Make sure your doctor knows if you are using theophylline, a blood thinner (Coumadin®), terfenadine (Seldane®, Seldane-D®), or beta blocker medicines such as propranolol (Inderal®), metoprolol (Lopressor®), atenolol (Tenormin®), or nadolol (Corgard®).
Zyflo Filmtab (Oral) Warnings
- This medicine helps prevent asthma attacks. For the medicine to work, you will need to use it every day, even when you are not having problems with your asthma. If your asthma does not get better or if it gets worse while you are using this medicine, tell your doctor.
- Zileuton will not stop a severe asthma attack after it has started. Your doctor may give you a medicine to inhale that will work quickly for a severe attack. If you are already using an inhaler medicine and start to need that medicine more often or use the maximum number of puffs allowed in a day, tell your doctor.
- This medicine may cause liver problems. To watch for signs of this, you will need to have blood tests done on a regular schedule. Keep all appointments your doctor makes for you.
- Call your doctor right away if you have pain in the right upper part of your stomach, yellowing of skin or eyes, itching, or if you feel unusually tired or like you have the flu. These may be signs of liver problems.
- Make sure your doctor knows if you have ever had liver disease, hepatitis, yellowing of your skin or eyes, or dark or amber colored urine, or if you drink alcohol.
- If you are pregnant or breastfeeding, talk to your doctor before using this medicine.
Zyflo Filmtab (Oral) Side Effects
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Tightness in your chest
- Increased wheezing or trouble breathing
- Pain in the right upper stomach
- Feeling unusually tired or weak or like you have the flu
- Yellowing of skin or eyes, itching
- Dark or amber-colored urine
- Unexplained fever, chills, or sore throat If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Indigestion, upset stomach, nausea