Questions | Reviews
Back in school, I'm doing so much lenirnag.
by Valinda in Valinda, 01/13/2014
Hallo dera all! I have migraine about two or three times each month. They always last about three days so I cannot work, sleep or eat. Sometimes it can be controlled with Zomig 2.5 mg. But more often I should take 4-6 tablets of 2.5mg through 3 days. ...
by Andreja in Zagreb,Croatia, 02/07/2006
Zomig (Oral) Drug and Prescription Information
Zomig (Oral) Medication Classification
ZOLMITRIPTAN (By mouth)
Zomig (Oral) Brandname
Zomig (Oral) is used for the Treatment
Zolmitriptan (zohl-mi-TRIP-tan) Treats migraine headaches.
When To Not Use Zomig (Oral)
You should not use this medicine if you have had an allergic reaction to zolmitriptan or if you have chest pain (angina), uncontrolled high blood pressure, or have had a heart attack.
How Should You Use Zomig (Oral)
Tablet, Dissolving Tablet
- Your doctor will tell you how much medicine to use and how often.
- You will get another information sheet with your medicine. Read this sheet carefully.
- If you are using the disintegrating tablet, make sure your hands are dry before you handle the tablet. Do not open the blister pack that contains the tablet until you are ready to take it. Remove the tablet from the blister pack by peeling back the foil, then taking the tablet out. Do not push the tablet through the foil. Place the tablet in your mouth. It should melt quickly. After the tablet has melted, swallow or take a drink of water.
- It is best to use zolmitriptan at the first sign of a migraine. However, you can use the medicine at any time during the migraine, and it should still help. This medicine relieves migraine headaches, but will not prevent a migraine. You should only use zolmitriptan when you actually have a migraine.
- Usually one dose is used when you have a migraine. If the first dose helped relieve your migraine, but the migraine comes back later, you can use a second tablet if at least 2 hours have passed after you took the first tablet. If the first tablet did not provide any relief, talk with your doctor before using more medicine. If a dose is missed:
- Zolmitriptan is used when you have a migraine. It is not used on a regular schedule.
Proper Zomig (Oral) Storage
Store Zomig (Oral) at room temperature away from sunlight and moisture unless otherwise stated by manufacturer's instructions or labelling. Keep Zomig (Oral) and all medications out of the reach of children.
What To Avoid While Using Zomig (Oral)
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
- You should not use zolmitriptan if you have used sumatriptan (Imitrex®) or medicine that contains ergotamine, dihydroergotamine, or methysergide (such as Bellergal-S®, Cafergot®, D.H.E. 45, Ergostat®, Wigraine®, or Sansert®) within the past 24 hours.
- You should not use zolmitriptan if you have used an MAO inhibitor within the past 2 weeks. MAO inhibitors such as phenelzine (Nardil®), tranylcypromine (Parnate®), or isocarboxazid (Marplan®) are used to treat depression.
- Make sure your doctor knows if you are using cimetidine (Tagamet®) or antidepressants such as fluoxetine, fluvoxamine, paroxetine, or sertraline.
Zomig (Oral) Warnings
- If you are pregnant (or think you might be pregnant) or breastfeeding, talk to your doctor before using this medicine.
- Talk to your doctor before using zolmitriptan if you have heart, liver, or kidney disease, an irregular heartbeat, seizures, or high blood pressure or if you have had a stroke.
- If you are at higher risk for heart disease, talk with your doctor before using this medicine. Risk factors for heart disease include smoking, high cholesterol, a family history of heart disease, being overweight, and having diabetes. Men over the age of 40 and postmenopausal women are also at risk of heart disease.
- You should not use zolmitriptan if your headache symptoms are different from the symptoms you usually have with a migraine headache. If you have a severe headache and do not know the cause, call your doctor.
- This medicine may make you dizzy. Avoid driving or using machinery until you know how the medicine affects you.
Zomig (Oral) Side Effects
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Chest pain or tightness in your chest or throat
- Fast or irregular heartbeat
- Wheezing or trouble breathing
- Rash or hives
- Swelling of the face, throat, eyelids, or lips If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Feeling dizzy, drowsy, weak, or tired
- Feeling of heat, tingling, heaviness, or pressure
- Bad taste in your mouth
- Muscle pain