ZINC ACETATE (Oral) (Capsule)
ZINC ACETATE (Oral) (Capsule) Drug and Prescription Information
ZINC ACETATE (Oral) (Capsule)
ZINC ACETATE (Oral) (Capsule) Medication Classification
ZINC ACETATE (By mouth)
ZINC ACETATE (Oral) (Capsule) Brandname
ZINC ACETATE (Oral) (Capsule) is used for the Treatment
Zinc Acetate (zink AS-e-tate) Treats Wilson's disease (a disease in which too much copper builds up in the body).
When To Not Use ZINC ACETATE (Oral) (Capsule)
You should not use this medicine if you have had an allergic reaction to zinc.
How Should You Use ZINC ACETATE (Oral) (Capsule)
- Your doctor will tell you how much medicine to use and how often.
- It is best to take this medicine on an empty stomach with plain water, at least 1 hour before or 2 hours after a meal. If the morning dose of this medicine upsets your stomach, try taking it between breakfast and lunch.
- Swallow the capsules whole. Do not crush, open, or chew. If a dose is missed:
- Use the missed dose as soon as possible, unless it is almost time for your next dose.
- Skip the missed dose if it is almost time for your next regular dose.
- You should not use two doses at the same time.
Proper ZINC ACETATE (Oral) (Capsule) Storage
Store ZINC ACETATE (Oral) (Capsule) at room temperature away from sunlight and moisture unless otherwise stated by manufacturer's instructions or labelling. Keep ZINC ACETATE (Oral) (Capsule) and all medications out of the reach of children.
What To Avoid While Using ZINC ACETATE (Oral) (Capsule)
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
- Your doctor may tell you to avoid eating foods that are high in copper. Some of these foods are liver, pork, tofu, shellfish, nuts, dried beans, mushrooms, broccoli, avocado, cocoa, and chocolate. Some instant breakfast drinks and cereals may contain copper. Read the package labels or ask your doctor if you have questions.
ZINC ACETATE (Oral) (Capsule) Warnings
- If you are pregnant or breastfeeding, talk to your doctor before using this medicine. Your doctor may tell you to stop breastfeeding while using this medicine, because you may give the medicine to your baby through breastmilk.
- This medicine helps your body get rid of excess copper. It is important that you use this medicine on a regular schedule as your doctor ordered. Do not skip doses or stop using the medicine unless your doctor tells you to. Too much copper in your body can damage your liver, brain, or other organs.
- You will need to have your blood and urine tested regularly to make sure the medicine is working. Keep all appointments your doctor makes for you.
ZINC ACETATE (Oral) (Capsule) Side Effects
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Sharp or severe stomach pain If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Upset stomach, mild heartburn