ZIDOVUDINE (Oral) (Capsule
Questions | Reviews
Approx. how much does this medication cost if there is no Health Ins. taking care of the cost. Iím looking for the HIV prophylaxis (28-day regimen) Zidovudine that the hospital gave to a client for possible exposure to the virus. Thank you Lora
by Lora in Kankakee, IL., 02/21/2006
ZIDOVUDINE (Oral) (Capsule Drug and Prescription Information
ZIDOVUDINE (Oral) (Capsule
ZIDOVUDINE (Oral) (Capsule Medication Classification
ZIDOVUDINE (By mouth)
ZIDOVUDINE (Oral) (Capsule Brandname
ZIDOVUDINE (Oral) (Capsule is used for the Treatment
Zidovudine (zye-DOE-vyoo-deen) Treats human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) infection. HIV causes acquired immune deficiency syndrome (AIDS). Zidovudine does not cure HIV or AIDS, but combinations of drugs that treat HIV infection may slow progress of the disease.
When To Not Use ZIDOVUDINE (Oral) (Capsule
You should not use this medicine if you have had an allergic reaction to zidovudine.
How Should You Use ZIDOVUDINE (Oral) (Capsule
Capsule, Tablet, Liquid
- Your doctor will tell you how much of this medicine to take and how often. Do not take more medicine or take it more often than your doctor tells you to.
- Measure the oral liquid medicine with a marked measuring spoon or medicine cup.
- Zidovudine is taken with other medicines to treat HIV infection. Take all other medicines your doctor has prescribed as part of your combination treatment. If a dose is missed:
- If you miss a dose or forget to take your medicine, take it as soon as you can. If it is almost time for your next dose, wait until then to take the medicine and skip the missed dose.
- Do not use extra medicine to make up for a missed dose.
Proper ZIDOVUDINE (Oral) (Capsule Storage
Store ZIDOVUDINE (Oral) (Capsule at room temperature away from sunlight and moisture unless otherwise stated by manufacturer's instructions or labelling. Keep ZIDOVUDINE (Oral) (Capsule and all medications out of the reach of children.
What To Avoid While Using ZIDOVUDINE (Oral) (Capsule
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
- Make sure your doctor knows if you are also using dapsone, fluconazole (Diflucan®), flucytosine (Ancobon®), ganciclovir (Cytovene®), interferon alfa (Intron®), pyrazinamide, ribavirin (Rebetron®), valproic acid (Depakene®), or any medicine to treat cancer.
- Tell your doctor about all other HIV medicines you are using, especially stavudine (Zerit®).
ZIDOVUDINE (Oral) (Capsule Warnings
- Make sure your doctor knows if you are pregnant, or if you have kidney disease, liver disease, anemia, pancreas problems, or a muscle disorder.
- Your doctor will need to check your progress at regular visits while you are using this medicine. Be sure to keep all appointments.
- This medicine will not keep you from giving HIV to your partner during sex. Make sure you understand and practice safe sex, even if your partner also has HIV. Do not share needles with anyone.
- Do not breastfeed if you have HIV or AIDS. The infection may be given to your baby through your breast milk.
ZIDOVUDINE (Oral) (Capsule Side Effects
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Allergic reaction: Itching or hives, swelling in your face or hands, swelling or tingling in your mouth or throat, chest tightness, trouble breathing
- Extreme weakness, tiredness, or confusion
- Fever, chills, sore throat
- Lightheadedness or fainting
- Numbness, tingling, or burning pain in your hands, arms, legs, or feet
- Rapid breathing or trouble breathing, nausea and vomiting
- Sudden and severe stomach pain, nausea, vomiting, fever, lightheadedness
- Yellow skin or eyes If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Loss of appetite
- Mild stomach pain
- Muscle or joint pain
- Nausea, vomiting
- Trouble sleeping