Zide (Oral) Drug and Prescription Information
Zide (Oral) Medication Classification
THIAZIDE DIURETICS (By mouth)
Zide (Oral) Brandname
Microzide, Hydrocot, Zide, Aquazide H, Diuril, Naturetin-5, Enduron, Aquatensen, Renese, Naqua, Aquacot
Zide (Oral) is used for the Treatment
Treats high blood pressure and fluid retention (edema). This medicine is a diuretic (water pill).
When To Not Use Zide (Oral)
You should not use this medicine if you have had an allergic reaction to hydrochlorothiazide or sulfa drugs, or if you are unable to urinate.
How Should You Use Zide (Oral)
Tablet, Capsule, Liquid
- Your doctor will tell you how much of this medicine to use and how often. Your dose may need to be changed several times in order to find out what works best for you. Do not use more medicine or use it more often than your doctor tells you to.
- Carefully follow your doctor's instructions about any special diet. You may need to eat foods that are high in potassium (such as oranges or bananas) to prevent potassium loss while you are using this medicine.
- Measure the oral liquid medicine with a marked measuring spoon, oral syringe, or medicine cup.
- Shake the oral liquid well just before using. If a dose is missed:
- If you miss a dose or forget to use your medicine, use it as soon as you can. If it is almost time for your next dose, wait until then to use the medicine and skip the missed dose. Do not use extra medicine to make up for a missed dose.
Proper Zide (Oral) Storage
Store Zide (Oral) at room temperature away from sunlight and moisture unless otherwise stated by manufacturer's instructions or labelling. Keep Zide (Oral) and all medications out of the reach of children.
What To Avoid While Using Zide (Oral)
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
- Make sure your doctor knows if you are also using amantadine (Symmetrel®), amiodarone (Cordarone®), cholestyramine (Questran®), colestipol (Colestid®), digoxin (Lanoxin®), lithium, pain or arthritis medicine (such as aspirin, Advil®, Aleve®, Indocin®, Motrin®, Orudis®, Relafen®, Voltaren®), steroids (such as cortisone, prednisone), or low-salt milk.
- Do not drink alcohol while you are using this medicine.
Zide (Oral) Warnings
- Make sure your doctor knows if you are pregnant or breastfeeding, or if you have liver disease, kidney disease, diabetes, gout, pancreatitis, or lupus.
- This medicine may make you dizzy or drowsy. Avoid driving, using machines, or doing anything else that could be dangerous if you are not alert.
- This medicine may make your skin more sensitive to sunlight. Use a sunscreen when you are outdoors. Avoid sunlamps and tanning beds.
Zide (Oral) Side Effects
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Allergic reaction: Itching or hives, swelling in face or hands, swelling or tingling in the mouth or throat, tightness in chest, trouble breathing
- Blood in urine or stools
- Confusion, weakness, irregular heartbeat, shortness of breath, numbness or tingling in hands, feet, or lips
- Dry mouth, increased thirst, muscle cramps, nausea or vomiting
- Fever chills, cough, hoarseness
- Problems urinating, pain in side or lower back
- Skin rash or itching
- Unusual bleeding or bruising
- Yellow eyes or skin If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Loss of appetite
- Problems having sex
- Mild diarrhea or stomach upset