Questions | Reviews
Hi! My son is currently taking Tenex to take ADHD and he's experiencing extreme drowsiness. Will this begin to pass in time? I wasn't sure if this was something that could build up in his system and eventually get past the Zombie effect. Please advise...
by Kim in Alpharetta, GA, 01/07/2006
Tenex (Oral) Drug and Prescription Information
Tenex (Oral) Medication Classification
GUANFACINE (By mouth)
Tenex (Oral) Brandname
Tenex (Oral) is used for the Treatment
Guanfacine (GWAHN-fa-seen) Treats high blood pressure.
When To Not Use Tenex (Oral)
You should not use this medicine if you have had an allergic reaction to guanfacine.
How Should You Use Tenex (Oral)
- Your doctor will tell you how much medicine to take and how often.
- Take this medicine exactly as your doctor ordered. Even if you feel fine your blood pressure can still be high.
- May be taken with or without food.
- If you are taking guanfacine once a day, take the dose at bedtime to avoid being drowsy during the day (unless your doctor tells you differently). If a dose is missed:
- Take the missed dose as soon as you remember.
- Skip the missed dose if it is almost time for your next regular dose and take your medicine at your usual time.
- If you miss more than two doses in row, talk with your doctor.
- You should not use two doses at the same time.
Proper Tenex (Oral) Storage
Store Tenex (Oral) at room temperature away from sunlight and moisture unless otherwise stated by manufacturer's instructions or labelling. Keep Tenex (Oral) and all medications out of the reach of children.
What To Avoid While Using Tenex (Oral)
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
- Avoid drinking alcohol while using this medicine.
- Make sure your doctor knows if you are also using any medicine that makes you sleepy, such as sleeping pills, tranquilizers, cold or allergy medicine, narcotic pain-killers, or muscle relaxers.
Tenex (Oral) Warnings
- Check with your doctor before using guanfacine if you have heart or liver disease, depression, or if you have had a heart attack or stroke.
- Talk with your doctor before using this medicine if you are pregnant or breastfeeding.
- Do not stop using this medicine suddenly without talking to your doctor. You may need to use smaller and smaller doses before completely stopping the medicine.
- Tell your doctor or dentist that you are using guanfacine before you have any kind of surgery.
- Guanfacine can make you dizzy or drowsy. Be careful if you drive a car or operate machinery.
- To avoid dizziness from this medicine, stand up slowly from a sitting or lying position.
Tenex (Oral) Side Effects
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Irregular heartbeat
- Chest pain
- Trouble breathing
- Severe weakness If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Headache or eye irritation
- Trouble sleeping
- Drowsiness or dizziness
- Dry mouth and nose
- Trouble having sex
- Depressed mood