Surmontil (Oral) Drug and Prescription Information
Surmontil (Oral) Medication Classification
TRIMIPRAMINE MALEATE (By mouth)
Surmontil (Oral) Brandname
Surmontil (Oral) is used for the Treatment
Trimipramine Maleate (trye-MI-pra-meen MAL-ee-ate) Treats depression. Belongs to a class of drugs called tricyclic antidepressants.
When To Not Use Surmontil (Oral)
You should not use this medicine if you have had an allergic reaction to trimipramine or any other tricyclic antidepressant (such as Elavil®, Anafranil®, or Sinequan®). You should not take trimipramine if you have had a recent heart attack or have taken an MAO inhibitor drug (such as Parnate®, Nardil®, Marplan®) within the past 14 days.
How Should You Use Surmontil (Oral)
- Your doctor will tell you how much medicine to take and how often.
- If you are taking trimipramine for depression, it may be several weeks before you feel better. If a dose is missed:
- Take the missed dose as soon as possible.
- If it is almost time for your next regular dose, wait until then to take your medicine and skip the missed dose.
- You should not use two doses at the same time.
Proper Surmontil (Oral) Storage
Store Surmontil (Oral) at room temperature away from sunlight and moisture unless otherwise stated by manufacturer's instructions or labelling. Keep Surmontil (Oral) and all medications out of the reach of children.
What To Avoid While Using Surmontil (Oral)
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
- Do not drink alcohol while taking this medicine.
- Make sure your doctor knows if you are taking cimetidine (Tagamet®) or any medicines that could make you sleepy such as sleeping pills, cold and allergy pills, other medicine for depression, tranquilizers, antihistamines, and strong pain killers.
Surmontil (Oral) Warnings
- If you are pregnant or breastfeeding, talk your doctor before taking this medicine.
- Be sure your doctor knows if you have heart or liver disease, seizures, glaucoma, thyroid problems, or problems with urination.
- Trimipramine may make you sleepy or dizzy. Be careful if driving a car or using machinery.
- This medicine may make your skin more sensitive to sunlight. Use a sunscreen when out doors. Avoid tanning beds and sunlamps.
Surmontil (Oral) Side Effects
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Severe confusion or hallucinations
- Unexplained fever, chills, or sore throat
- Yellow skin or eyes
- Hives, rash, or swelling of face, lips, or tongue
- Difficulty going to the bathroom (urinating)
- Extreme excitement or irritability If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Drowsiness or dizziness
- Dry mouth or blurred vision that does not go away after a few days
- Trembling or shakiness
- Weight gain