SUMATRIPTAN (Nasal) (Spray)
SUMATRIPTAN (Nasal) (Spray) Drug and Prescription Information
SUMATRIPTAN (Nasal) (Spray)
SUMATRIPTAN (Nasal) (Spray) Medication Classification
SUMATRIPTAN (Into the nose)
SUMATRIPTAN (Nasal) (Spray) Brandname
SUMATRIPTAN (Nasal) (Spray) is used for the Treatment
Sumatriptan (soo-ma-TRIP-tan) Treats migraine headaches.
When To Not Use SUMATRIPTAN (Nasal) (Spray)
You should not use this medicine if you have had an allergic reaction to sumatriptan, or if you have a history of certain heart or blood vessel disorders, stroke, ischemic bowel disease, or severe liver disease. You should not use this medicine if you have uncontrolled high blood pressure, or if you are also using any ergotamine medicine (such as D.H.E. 45®, Migranal®, Cafergot®) or an MAO inhibitor (Eldepryl®, Marplan®, Nardil®, Parnate®).
How Should You Use SUMATRIPTAN (Nasal) (Spray)
- Your doctor will tell you how much of this medicine to use and how often. Do not use more medicine or use it more often than your doctor tells you to.
- Unless your doctor tells you otherwise, use this medicine in only one nostril each time.
- This medicine comes with patient instructions. Read and follow these instructions carefully. Ask your doctor or pharmacist if you have any questions.
- Never share your medicine with anyone.
Proper SUMATRIPTAN (Nasal) (Spray) Storage
Store SUMATRIPTAN (Nasal) (Spray) at room temperature away from sunlight and moisture unless otherwise stated by manufacturer's instructions or labelling. Keep SUMATRIPTAN (Nasal) (Spray) and all medications out of the reach of children.
What To Avoid While Using SUMATRIPTAN (Nasal) (Spray)
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
- Make sure your doctor knows if you are also using medicine for depression (such as trazodone, Celexa®, Effexor®, Luvox®, Paxil®, Prozac®, Serzone®, Zoloft®).
SUMATRIPTAN (Nasal) (Spray) Warnings
- Make sure your doctor knows if you are pregnant or breastfeeding, or if you have high blood pressure, high cholesterol, kidney disease, diabetes, epilepsy, or a family history of coronary artery disease.
- Tell your doctor if you smoke, if you are over 40, or if you have gone through menopause.
- This medicine may make you dizzy. Avoid driving, using machines, or doing anything else that could be dangerous if you are not alert.
SUMATRIPTAN (Nasal) (Spray) Side Effects
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Allergic reaction: Itching or hives, swelling in face or hands, swelling or tingling in the mouth or throat, trouble breathing
- Numbness or tingling in your hands, arms, legs, or feet
- Stomach pain, diarrhea, blood in your stools
- Tightness or discomfort in your chest, neck, or jaw If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Bad or unusual taste in your mouth
- Burning, numbness, tingling, or pain in your nose
- Discomfort in the throat
- Runny nose