SULFADIAZINE (Oral) (Tablet)
SULFADIAZINE (Oral) (Tablet) Drug and Prescription Information
SULFADIAZINE (Oral) (Tablet)
SULFADIAZINE (Oral) (Tablet) Medication Classification
SULFADIAZINE (By mouth)
SULFADIAZINE (Oral) (Tablet) Brandname
SULFADIAZINE (Oral) (Tablet) is used for the Treatment
Sulfadiazine (sul-fa-DYE-a-zeen) Treats many different kinds of infections such as urinary tract infections, malaria, certain ear infections, and toxoplasmosis. Is also used to help prevent rheumatic fever or meningitis.Belongs to the "sulfa" class of drugs.
When To Not Use SULFADIAZINE (Oral) (Tablet)
You should not use this medicine if you have had an allergic reaction to any sulfa drug. You should not use this medicine if you are breastfeeding, or if you are in the last 3 months of a pregnancy. Do not give this medicine to a baby who is not under the care of a doctor.
How Should You Use SULFADIAZINE (Oral) (Tablet)
- Your doctor will tell you how much medicine to take and how often.
- Keep taking this medicine for as long as your doctor ordered. If you stop taking the medicine too soon, your infection may not completely go away.
- Swallow with a full glass (8 ounces) of water. Drink several extra glasses of water every day while taking this medicine. If a dose is missed:
- Take the missed dose as soon as possible, unless it is almost time for your next dose.
- Skip the missed dose if it is almost time for your next regular dose.
- You should not use two doses at the same time.
Proper SULFADIAZINE (Oral) (Tablet) Storage
Store SULFADIAZINE (Oral) (Tablet) at room temperature away from sunlight and moisture unless otherwise stated by manufacturer's instructions or labelling. Keep SULFADIAZINE (Oral) (Tablet) and all medications out of the reach of children.
What To Avoid While Using SULFADIAZINE (Oral) (Tablet)
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
- Make sure your doctor knows if you are also taking aspirin, indomethacin (Indocin®), probenecid (Benemid®), Coumadin® or other blood thinners, a diuretic (water pill), methotrexate, phenytoin (Dilantin®), or diabetes medicine (such as Diabenese®, Glucotrol®, DiaBeta®, Micronase®, or Tolinase®).
SULFADIAZINE (Oral) (Tablet) Warnings
- Before taking sulfadiazine tell your doctor if you have anemia or other blood problems, asthma or severe allergies, liver disease, kidney disease, G-6-PD (glucose-6-phosphate dehydrogenase) deficiency.
- If you are in the early months of a pregnancy, talk with your doctor before taking this medicine. Sulfadiazine should not be taken during the last 3 months of a pregnancy.
- While you are taking this medicine, your doctor may want to check your blood at regular intervals. Be sure to keep all schedule appointments.
SULFADIAZINE (Oral) (Tablet) Side Effects
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Blistering or peeling skin
- Skin rash, hives, or itching
- Swelling in your face, lips, or throat
- Unexplained fever, chills, or sore throat
- Unusual bruising or bleeding, purple spots on your skin
- Wheezing, trouble breathing, or trouble swallowing
- Yellowing of skin or eyes If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Appetite loss, nausea, upset stomach