Spectracef (Oral) Drug and Prescription Information
Spectracef (Oral) Medication Classification
CEFDITOREN (By mouth)
Spectracef (Oral) Brandname
Spectracef (Oral) is used for the Treatment
Cefditoren (SEF-di-tor-en) Treats infections caused by bacteria. This medicine is a cephalosporin antibiotic.
When To Not Use Spectracef (Oral)
You should not use this medicine if you have had an allergic reaction to any type of cephalosporin or penicillin antibiotic (such as amoxicillin, ampicillin, cefaclor, cefadroxil, cephalexin, nafcillin, ticarcillin, Amoxil®, Augmentin®, Ceftin®, Cefzil®, Keflex®), or if you are allergic to milk protein (not the same as lactose-intolerant). You should not use cefditoren if you have a carnitine deficiency or certain metabolic disorders. Talk with your doctor about what these disorders are.
How Should You Use Spectracef (Oral)
- Your doctor will tell you how much of this medicine to take and how often. Do not take more medicine or take it more often than your doctor tells you to. This medicine is not for long-term use.
- It is best to take this medicine with a meal.
- Keep using this medicine for the full treatment time, even if you feel better after the first few doses. Your infection may not clear up if you stop using the medicine too soon.
- Never share your medicine with anyone. If a dose is missed:
- If you miss a dose or forget to take your medicine, take it as soon as you can. If it is almost time for your next dose, wait until then to take the medicine and skip the missed dose.
- Do not use extra medicine to make up for a missed dose.
Proper Spectracef (Oral) Storage
Store Spectracef (Oral) at room temperature away from sunlight and moisture unless otherwise stated by manufacturer's instructions or labelling. Keep Spectracef (Oral) and all medications out of the reach of children.
What To Avoid While Using Spectracef (Oral)
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
- Make sure your doctor knows if you are also using probenecid (Benemid®), antacids (Maalox®, Mylanta®), or medicines to reduce stomach acid (Axid®, Pepcid®, Tagamet®, Zantac®), or if you have ever taken blood thinners (Coumadin®).
Spectracef (Oral) Warnings
- Make sure your doctor knows if you are pregnant or breastfeeding, or if you have liver or kidney disease.
- Make sure any doctor or dentist who treats you knows that you are using this medicine. Cefditoren can affect the results of certain medical tests.
Spectracef (Oral) Side Effects
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Allergic reaction: Itching or hives, swelling in face or hands, swelling or tingling in the mouth or throat, tightness in chest, trouble breathing
- Blistering, peeling, red skin rash
- Diarrhea, vomiting, stomach pain
- Sores, pain, or white patches in your mouth or throat If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Dryness or unusual taste in your mouth
- Increase or decrease in appetite
- Mild skin rash
- Nausea, constipation
- Unusual dreams or problems with sleep
- Vaginal itching or discharge