QUETIAPINE (Oral) (Tablet)
QUETIAPINE (Oral) (Tablet) Drug and Prescription Information
QUETIAPINE (Oral) (Tablet)
QUETIAPINE (Oral) (Tablet) Medication Classification
QUETIAPINE (By mouth)
QUETIAPINE (Oral) (Tablet) Brandname
QUETIAPINE (Oral) (Tablet) is used for the Treatment
Quetiapine (kwe-TYE-a-peen) Treats schizophrenia. This medicine is an antipsychotic.
When To Not Use QUETIAPINE (Oral) (Tablet)
You should not use this medicine if you have had an allergic reaction to quetiapine.
How Should You Use QUETIAPINE (Oral) (Tablet)
- Your doctor will tell you how much of this medicine to use and how often. Do not use more medicine or use it more often than your doctor tells you to. If a dose is missed:
- If you miss a dose or forget to use your medicine, use it as soon as you can. If it is almost time for your next dose, wait until then to use the medicine and skip the missed dose. Do not use extra medicine to make up for a missed dose.
Proper QUETIAPINE (Oral) (Tablet) Storage
Store QUETIAPINE (Oral) (Tablet) at room temperature away from sunlight and moisture unless otherwise stated by manufacturer's instructions or labelling. Keep QUETIAPINE (Oral) (Tablet) and all medications out of the reach of children.
What To Avoid While Using QUETIAPINE (Oral) (Tablet)
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
- Make sure your doctor knows if you are also using levodopa, Sinemet®, erythromycin (Erythro-Tab®), rifampin (Rifadin®, Rifamate®), blood pressure medicine (such as atenolol, Adalat®, Hytrin®, Procardia®, Toprol®, Vasotec®, Zestril®), medicine for seizures (such as carbamazepine, phenytoin, primidone, Dilantin®, Tegretol®), a steroid (such as prednisone), medicine to treat fungal infections (such as fluconazole, itraconazole, ketoconazole, Diflucan®, Nizoral®, Sporanox®), or other antipsychotic medicine such as thioridazine (Mellaril®).
- Tell your doctor if you are using any medicines that make you sleepy. These include sleeping pills, cold and allergy medicine, narcotic pain relievers, and sedatives.
- Do not drink alcohol while you are using this medicine.
QUETIAPINE (Oral) (Tablet) Warnings
- Make sure your doctor knows if you are pregnant or breastfeeding, or if you have heart disease, liver disease, Alzheimer's disease, bleeding problems, high cholesterol, problems with your blood circulation, or a history of heart attack, stroke, seizures, or breast cancer.
- This medicine may make you dizzy or drowsy. Avoid driving, using machines, or doing anything else that could be dangerous if you are not alert.
- You may get overheated more easily while you are using this medicine. Be careful if you exercise heavily or are in high heat or humidity. Drink plenty of water every day.
- You may need to have your eyes tested on a regular basis while you are using this medicine.
QUETIAPINE (Oral) (Tablet) Side Effects
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Fast heartbeat
- Fever, sweating, confusion, uneven heartbeat, muscle stiffness
- Jerky muscle movements you cannot control (often in your face, tongue, or jaw)
- Lightheadedness or fainting
- Trouble seeing or bright light bothering your eyes If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Dry mouth
- Nausea, constipation
- Weight gain