Oysco 500 + D (Oral)
Oysco 500 + D (Oral) Drug and Prescription Information
Oysco 500 + D (Oral)
Oysco 500 + D (Oral) Medication Classification
CALCIUM/VITAMIN D SUPPLEMENT (By mouth)
Oysco 500 + D (Oral) Brandname
Citracal + D, Citracal + D Economy, OS-Cal 500 + D, Caltrate 600 + D, OS-Cal 250 + D, Calcet, Calcium 500 + D, Oysco 500 + D, Oysco D
Oysco 500 + D (Oral) is used for the Treatment
Calcium, Vitamin D Supplies your body with calcium if you need more than you get in your diet. Calcium also helps prevent osteoporosis (weak or brittle bones). Vitamin D helps your body use the calcium. Calcium and vitamin D are minerals that your body needs to work properly.
When To Not Use Oysco 500 + D (Oral)
You should not use this medicine if you have had an allergic reaction to calcium or vitamin D (ergocalciferol).
How Should You Use Oysco 500 + D (Oral)
Tablet, Fizzy Tablet
- Your doctor will tell you how much of this medicine to use and how often. Do not use more medicine or use it more often than your doctor tells you to.
- If you are using this medicine without a prescription, follow the instructions on the medicine label. Ask your pharmacist or health caregiver if you are not sure how much calcium you should take in one day.
- Most calcium supplements should be taken with food, but some kinds of calcium (such as calcium citrate) can be taken with or without food. Ask your health care provider or read the label on the bottle to see if you need to take your specific kind of calcium with food. Drink a full glass of water (8 ounces) with each dose.
- If you are using the effervescent (fizzy) tablet, dissolve the tablet in about 6 to 8 ounces of water (3/4 cup to 1 cup). After the tablet is completely dissolved, drink this mixture right away. Do not save any mixture to take later.
- Carefully follow your doctor's instructions about any special diet.
- If you need to take more than one dose each a day, take each dose at evenly spaced times, unless your doctor has told you otherwise. If a dose is missed:
- If you miss a dose or forget to use your medicine, use it as soon as you can. If it is almost time for your next dose, wait until then to use the medicine and skip the missed dose. Do not use extra medicine to make up for a missed dose.
Proper Oysco 500 + D (Oral) Storage
Store Oysco 500 + D (Oral) at room temperature away from sunlight and moisture unless otherwise stated by manufacturer's instructions or labelling. Keep Oysco 500 + D (Oral) and all medications out of the reach of children.
What To Avoid While Using Oysco 500 + D (Oral)
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
- Make sure your doctor knows if you are also using other supplements or medicines that contain calcium. Tell your doctor if you are also using gallium nitrate (Ganite®), cellulose sodium phosphate (Calcibind®), or etidronate (Didronel®).
- Calcium can change the way other medicines work if you take them at the same time. If you need to use other medicines, take them at least 2 hours before or 2 hours after you take your calcium supplement. This is particularly important if you are also using phenytoin (Dilantin®) or a tetracycline antibiotic to treat an infection (such as doxycycline, minocycline, Vibramycin®).
- Do not take your calcium supplement with a high-fiber meal (such as bran, whole-grain cereal or bread, fresh fruits). Do not smoke cigarettes or cigars. Do not drink large amounts of alcohol or caffeine (for example, more than about 8 cups of coffee).
Oysco 500 + D (Oral) Warnings
- Make sure your doctor knows if you are pregnant or breast feeding, or if you have kidney disease or have ever had kidney stones. Tell your doctor if you have had problems with too much calcium (hypercalcemia) or too little calcium in your blood (hypocalcemia). Some health problems that can cause hypercalcemia are sarcoidosis, or problems with your parathyroid gland.
- Some health problems can affect how much calcium you should take. Tell your doctor if you have stomach or digestion problems, such as on-going diarrhea, not absorbing nutrients properly, or not having enough acid in your stomach.
- This medicine might contain phenylalanine (aspartame). This is only a concern if you have a disorder called phenylketonuria (a problem with amino acids). If you have this condition, talk to your doctor before using this medicine.
- If you are using a large amount of calcium or using it for a long time, your doctor might need to check your blood on a regular basis. Be sure to keep all appointments.
Oysco 500 + D (Oral) Side Effects
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Headache that will not go away, dry mouth, loss of appetite, severe constipation.