Nefazodone HCl (Oral)
Nefazodone HCl (Oral) Drug and Prescription Information
Nefazodone HCl (Oral)
Nefazodone HCl (Oral) Medication Classification
NEFAZODONE (By mouth)
Nefazodone HCl (Oral) Brandname
Serzone, Nefazodone HCl
Nefazodone HCl (Oral) is used for the Treatment
Nefazodone (nef-AY-zoe-done) Treats depression.
When To Not Use Nefazodone HCl (Oral)
You should not use this medicine if you have liver disease or if you have ever had liver damage or an allergic reaction caused by nefazodone or other antidepressants. You should not use this medicine if you are also taking carbamazepine (Tegretol®), triazolam (Halcion®), terfenadine (Seldane®), astemizole (Hismanal®), pimozide (Orap®), or cisapride (Propulsid®).
How Should You Use Nefazodone HCl (Oral)
- Your doctor will tell you how much of this medicine to take and how often. Do not take more medicine or take it more often than your doctor tells you to.
- You may need to take this medicine for several weeks before you feel better. Keep taking the medicine as your doctor ordered. If a dose is missed:
- If you miss a dose or forget to take your medicine, take it as soon as you can. If it is almost time for your next dose, wait until then to take the medicine and skip the missed dose.
- Do not use extra medicine to make up for a missed dose.
Proper Nefazodone HCl (Oral) Storage
Store Nefazodone HCl (Oral) at room temperature away from sunlight and moisture unless otherwise stated by manufacturer's instructions or labelling. Keep Nefazodone HCl (Oral) and all medications out of the reach of children.
What To Avoid While Using Nefazodone HCl (Oral)
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
- Make sure your doctor knows if you are also using alprazolam (Xanax®), buspirone (Buspar®), cyclosporine (Neoral®, Sandimmune®), haloperidol (Haldol®), digoxin (Lanoxin®), fluoxetine (Prozac®), tacrolimus (Prograf®), blood thinners (Coumadin®), medicine to lower cholesterol (such as Baycol®, Lescol®, Mevacor®, Pravachol®, Zocor®), or an MAO inhibitor (Eldepryl®, Nardil®, Marplan®, Parnate®).
- Make sure your doctor knows if you are using any medicines that make you sleepy (such as sleeping pills, cold and allergy medicine, narcotic pain killers, or sedatives).
- Do not drink alcohol while you are using this medicine.
Nefazodone HCl (Oral) Warnings
- Make sure your doctor knows if you are pregnant or breastfeeding, or if you have heart disease, liver disease, seizures, or if you have had a recent stroke or heart attack.
- This medicine may make you dizzy or drowsy. Avoid driving, using machines, or doing anything else that could be dangerous if you are not alert.
- Make sure any doctor or dentist who treats you knows that you are using this medicine.
Nefazodone HCl (Oral) Side Effects
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Allergic reaction: Itching or hives, swelling in face or hands, swelling or tingling in the mouth or throat, tightness in chest, trouble breathing
- Nausea, vomiting, loss of appetite, pain in the upper stomach
- Yellow skin or eyes, dark-colored urine or pale stools
- Blistering, peeling, loose skin, red or itching skin rash
- Confusion, unusual thoughts or behavior
- Lightheadedness or fainting
- Muscle stiffness, tremors or shaking, sweating, coordination problems
- Numbness or tingling in your hands or feet
- Prolonged, painful erection of the penis
- Unusual bleeding, bruising, or weakness If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Agitation, memory problems, trouble concentrating
- Constipation or nausea
- Discharge from the nipples
- Dry mouth or cough
- Enlarged breasts (in men)
- Trouble sleeping