MEGESTROL ACETATE (Oral) (Tablet)
Questions | Reviews
Exactly what is this medication used for? I've read that it treats anorexia to aids to cancer
by Esther, 05/26/2007
I was put on Megestrol Ac for irregular bleeding and I was wondering if this medication was a steroid and has it been known to make people gain weight, or there appetite increase.
by Katrina Malloy in Mount Pleasant, Arkansas, 05/26/2007
My Mother has been experiencing menstrual bleeding at the age of 71. And her doctor said this pill will prevent her from having cancer and I want to know why she has to take Megestrol Acetate if she do not have cancer? Please help is this a preventive...
by Bernan in New Roads, LA, 01/26/2006
I am currantly on Tamoxifen. Have been on this drug since January 2002. I have encounter the usually side effects. They are: weight gain, hot flashes, increase of appitite, severe depression and of late my bones have been hurting. I had a bone scan la...
by Lisa M in Parsons, KS, 01/25/2006
MEGESTROL ACETATE (Oral) (Tablet) Drug and Prescription Information
MEGESTROL ACETATE (Oral) (Tablet)
MEGESTROL ACETATE (Oral) (Tablet) Medication Classification
MEGESTROL ACETATE (By mouth)
MEGESTROL ACETATE (Oral) (Tablet) Brandname
MEGESTROL ACETATE (Oral) (Tablet) is used for the Treatment
Megestrol Acetate (me-JES-trole AS-e-tate) Treats cancer of the breast or uterus. Also used to increase appetite and prevent weight loss in patients with AIDS.
When To Not Use MEGESTROL ACETATE (Oral) (Tablet)
You should not use this medicine if you have had an allergic reaction to megestrol or if you are pregnant.
How Should You Use MEGESTROL ACETATE (Oral) (Tablet)
- Your doctor will tell you how much of this medicine to take and how often. Do not take more medicine or take it more often than your doctor tells you to.
- For cancer treatment, you may need to take this medicine for at least 2 months before it starts to work.
- If you are using the oral liquid medicine, shake the bottle thoroughly before each use. Pour the liquid into the medicine cup to measure your correct dose. If a dose is missed:
- If you miss a dose or forget to take your medicine, take it as soon as you can. If it is almost time for your next dose, wait until then to take the medicine and skip the missed dose.
- Do not use extra medicine to make up for a missed dose.
Proper MEGESTROL ACETATE (Oral) (Tablet) Storage
Store MEGESTROL ACETATE (Oral) (Tablet) at room temperature away from sunlight and moisture unless otherwise stated by manufacturer's instructions or labelling. Keep MEGESTROL ACETATE (Oral) (Tablet) and all medications out of the reach of children.
What To Avoid While Using MEGESTROL ACETATE (Oral) (Tablet)Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
MEGESTROL ACETATE (Oral) (Tablet) Warnings
- Make sure your doctor knows if you are breastfeeding, or if you have diabetes or a history of blood clots.
- Using this medicine while you are pregnant can harm your unborn baby. Use an effective form of birth control to keep from getting pregnant. If you think you have become pregnant while using the medicine, tell your doctor right away.
- Taking this medicine for a long time may increase the risk of some kinds of cancer. Talk to your doctor about this risk.
- This medicine may cause weight gain as a result of an increased appetite.
MEGESTROL ACETATE (Oral) (Tablet) Side Effects
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Increased thirst, increase in how much or how often you urinate
- Nausea, vomiting, dizziness, weakness
- Pain, swelling, redness, or warmth in the leg (calf)
- Puffy, full, or rounded face
- Severe headache, slurring of speech, changes in vision
- Sudden shortness of breath or rapid breathing with chest pain If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Breakthrough menstrual bleeding
- Trouble having or maintaining an erection
- Trouble sleeping