Maxivate (Topical) Drug and Prescription Information
Maxivate (Topical) Medication Classification
BETAMETHASONE DIPROPIONATE (On the skin)
Maxivate (Topical) Brandname
Del-Beta, Alphatrex, Maxivate
Maxivate (Topical) is used for the Treatment
Betamethasone Dipropionate (bay-ta-METH-a-sone dye-proe-pee-oh-nate) Treats skin irritation, allergic reactions, and other types of skin problems. This medicine is a corticosteroid.
When To Not Use Maxivate (Topical)
You should not use this medicine if you have had an allergic reaction to betamethasone or other steroid medicines such as hydrocortisone or triamcinolone.
How Should You Use Maxivate (Topical)
Cream, Gel/Jelly, Lotion, Ointment, Spray, Foam
- Your doctor will tell you how much of this medicine to apply and how often. Do not use more medicine or apply it more often than your doctor tells you to.
- This medicine is for use on the skin only. Do not get it in your eyes, nose, or mouth. Do not use on areas of the skin that have cuts or scrapes.
- Wash your hands with soap and water before and after using this medicine.
- To use the cream, gel, lotion, or ointment: Apply a thin layer to the affected area. Rub it in gently. Do not cover the treated area with a bandage unless your doctor has told you to.
- To use the aerosol foam, turn the can upside down and squirt a small amount onto a small plate or other cool surface. Then pick up small amounts of the foam and massage it into your scalp. Do not squirt the foam onto your hands because it will melt if you hold it too long.
- To use the aerosol spray, shake the can just before using. Hold the can 3 to 6 inches from the skin and spray for about 2 seconds. Do not inhale the aerosol spray or use it near heat, open flame, or while smoking. Do not puncture, break, or burn the aerosol can.
- Do not cover the treated skin area with a bandage unless your doctor has told you to. If a dose is missed:
- If you miss a dose or forget to use your medicine, apply it as soon as you can. If it is almost time for your next dose, wait until then to apply the medicine and skip the missed dose.
- Do not apply extra medicine to make up for a missed dose.
Proper Maxivate (Topical) Storage
Store Maxivate (Topical) at room temperature away from sunlight and moisture unless otherwise stated by manufacturer's instructions or labelling. Keep Maxivate (Topical) and all medications out of the reach of children.
What To Avoid While Using Maxivate (Topical)
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
- Do not use cosmetics or other skin care products on the treated skin areas.
Maxivate (Topical) Warnings
- Make sure your doctor knows if you are pregnant or breastfeeding, or if you have tuberculosis, diabetes, or a skin infection.
Maxivate (Topical) Side Effects
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Severe skin irritation that was not there before using this medicine
- Signs of skin infection such as redness or swelling If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Acne-like skin changes
- Irritation, itching, redness, or dryness of skin
- Mild, temporary stinging or burning