Maxalt-MLT (Oral) Drug and Prescription Information
Maxalt-MLT (Oral) Medication Classification
RIZATRIPTAN (By mouth)
Maxalt-MLT (Oral) Brandname
Maxalt-MLT (Oral) is used for the Treatment
Rizatriptan (rye-za-TRIP-tan) Treats migraine headaches.
When To Not Use Maxalt-MLT (Oral)
You should not use this medicine if you have had an allergic reaction to rizatriptan, or if you have uncontrolled high blood pressure, a history of heart attack or stroke, or certain heart problems. Talk with your doctor about what these heart problems are. Do not take rizatriptan within 24 hours after taking another migraine headache medicine such as dihydroergotamine (DHE 45®, Migranal®), ergotamine (Cafergot®, Ergomar®, Wigraine®), methysergide (Sansert®), naratriptan (Amerge®), sumatriptan (Imitrex®), zolmitriptan (Zomig®). Do not take rizatriptan within 2 weeks after taking an MAO inhibitor (Eldepryl®, Marplan®, Nardil®, Parnate®).
How Should You Use Maxalt-MLT (Oral)
Tablet, Dissolving Tablet
- Your doctor will tell you how much of this medicine to take and how often. Do not take more medicine or take it more often than your doctor tells you to.
- This medicine is not for treating cluster headaches or certain types of migraine headaches. Do not use this medicine unless it has been prescribed for you by a doctor.
- This medicine will not prevent a migraine headache. Take the medicine as soon as possible after your headache starts.
- If you need to take a second dose of the medicine, wait at least 2 hours after taking the first dose. If the medicine does not relieve your headache at all, call your doctor right away.
- Swallow the tablet whole with a glass of water. Do not crush, break, or chew it.
- Keep the orally disintegrating tablet in the blister pack inside the outer foil pouch until you are ready to take the medicine. Make sure your hands are dry and peel open the blister to remove the tablet. Place the tablet on your tongue and let it dissolve. You do not need to drink water to swallow the dissolved tablet.
- The orally disintegrating tablet contains phenylalanine. Tell your doctor if you have phenylketonuria (PKU) before using this form of rizatriptan.
- Never share your medicine with anyone.
Proper Maxalt-MLT (Oral) Storage
Store Maxalt-MLT (Oral) at room temperature away from sunlight and moisture unless otherwise stated by manufacturer's instructions or labelling. Keep Maxalt-MLT (Oral) and all medications out of the reach of children.
What To Avoid While Using Maxalt-MLT (Oral)
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
- Make sure your doctor knows if you are also using propranolol (Inderal®), or medicine for depression (such as trazodone, Celexa®, Effexor®, Luvox®, Paxil®, Prozac®, Serzone®, Zoloft®).
Maxalt-MLT (Oral) Warnings
- Make sure your doctor knows if you are pregnant or breastfeeding, or if you have heart disease, liver disease, or kidney disease.
- You may have a higher risk of heart disease if you have high blood pressure, high cholesterol, or diabetes, or if you smoke, are overweight, have a family history of heart disease, are a man over 40, or are a woman who has had a hysterectomy or has gone through menopause.
- Make sure your doctor knows if you have any of these risk factors before you take rizatriptan.
- This medicine may make you dizzy or drowsy. Avoid driving, using machines, or doing anything else that could be dangerous if you are not alert.
- Do not use this medicine if your migraine headache symptoms are different from usual. If you have a severe headache and do not think it is a typical migraine, call your doctor. If you need to use this medicine to treat more than 4 migraine headaches in one month, tell your doctor.
Maxalt-MLT (Oral) Side Effects
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Changes in vision
- Irregular heartbeat
- Numbness or tingling in the hands or feet
- Pain, pressure, or tightness in your chest, throat, or jaw area
- Trouble breathing If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Dry mouth