Librium (Oral) Drug and Prescription Information
Librium (Oral) Medication Classification
CHLORDIAZEPOXIDE (By mouth)
Librium (Oral) Brandname
Librium (Oral) is used for the Treatment
Chlordiazepoxide (klor-dye-az-e-POX-ide) Treats anxiety, symptoms of alcohol withdrawal, and tremor.Belongs to a class of drugs called benzodiazepines.
When To Not Use Librium (Oral)
You should not use chlordiazepoxide if you have had an allergic reaction to any other benzodiazepine medicines, such as Valium®, Xanax®, and Halcion®.
How Should You Use Librium (Oral)
- Your doctor will tell you how much medicine to take and how often.
- May be taken with or without food.
- Drink plenty of liquids. If a dose is missed:
- Take as soon as possible if you are less than 1 hour late with your dose.
- If it is almost time for your next regular dose, wait until then to take your medicine and skip the missed dose.
- You should not use two doses at the same time.
Proper Librium (Oral) Storage
Store Librium (Oral) at room temperature away from sunlight and moisture unless otherwise stated by manufacturer's instructions or labelling. Keep Librium (Oral) and all medications out of the reach of children.
What To Avoid While Using Librium (Oral)
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
- Avoid drinking alcohol while taking this medicine.
- You should not use this medicine with other drugs that make you sleepy such as sedatives, sleeping pills, antihistamines, some antidepressants, and narcotic pain-killers.
Librium (Oral) Warnings
- If you are pregnant or breastfeeding, talk to your doctor before taking this medicine.
- Make sure your doctor knows if you have porphyria or liver or kidney disease before you take this medicine.
- This medicine can be habit-forming. You should not use more than the prescribed amount or for longer periods than your doctor has ordered.
- This medicine can cause dizziness or drowsiness. Be careful if driving or using machinery.
- If you have taken this medicine for a long time or in large doses, do not stop taking it suddenly. You may need to take smaller and smaller doses before completely stopping.
- The side effects of this medicine may be stronger in older adults and children.
Librium (Oral) Side Effects
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Depressed mood or severe confusion
- Extreme unsteadiness (trouble standing)
- Severe drowsiness and weakness
- Slow heartbeat
- Sudden mood changes
- Trouble breathing If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Blurred vision, headache
- Diarrhea or constipation
- Drowsiness, dizziness, clumsiness
- Dry mouth, upset stomach
- Feeling "hungover" the next morning after bedtime use
- Trouble concentrating