Questions | Reviews
my mom is currently taking levoxyl 50mcg daily d/t hypothyroidism. she is also currently using an advair inhaler bid as well as albuterol nebs q 4 hours prn. as well she is going threw menopause. is there any otc meds she can take?especially in the ar...
by dorothy in queensbury ny, 09/13/2006
I have been taking Levoxyl for 10+ years, recently a family member had thyroid cancer so my primary care physician wants me to have a thyroid scan. I need to be off of the Levoxyl for 4 weeks prior to the test. Can you please tell me how a...
by Lisa in Medford, MA, 09/18/2006
I was diagnosed with hypothroidism and was given levoxyl for treatment. Before treatment my legs and ankles were swollen with a red rash. Thinking I had erethema the doctor prescribed a steriod topical ointment. It relieves the...
by mari in Northwest Iowa, 08/17/2007
I am a 50 year old female and I have been on estrogen for years, due to a hysterectemy. I just began taking levoxyl for my hypothyroidism about 6-8 months ago. I feel sure that it is impeding the effectiveness of my estrogen patch. Also, I have been h...
by steph daniel in usa, 05/06/2006
the lumps are kinda big and are red on the tip. they bleed sometimes. i had two surgeries and took them out. but they came back again. does this have anything to do with the medicine that i take?
by sunitha in Canada, 04/29/2006
Levoxyl (Oral) Drug and Prescription Information
Levoxyl (Oral) Medication Classification
THYROID SUPPLEMENT (By mouth)
Levoxyl (Oral) Brandname
Synthroid, Levoxyl, Levothroid, Armour Thyroid, Unithroid, Cytomel, Thyrolar, Westhroid, Nature-Throid NT-1, Nature-Throid NT-2, Nature-Throid NT-1/2, Nature-Throid NT-3
Levoxyl (Oral) is used for the Treatment
Treats hypothyroidism (the body does not produce enough thyroid hormone).
When To Not Use Levoxyl (Oral)
You should not use this medicine if you have had an allergic reaction to any type of thyroid hormone or if you have an overactive thyroid gland.
How Should You Use Levoxyl (Oral)
- Your doctor will tell you how much to take and how often
- Take your medicine at the same time every day.
- Take the medicine on an empty stomach.
- Do not stop taking this medicine without first checking with your doctor, you may need to take smaller and smaller doses before completely stopping the medicine. If a dose is missed:
- Take the missed dose take as soon as possible.
- Skip the missed dose if it is almost time for your next regular dose.
- You should not use two doses at the same time.
Proper Levoxyl (Oral) Storage
Store Levoxyl (Oral) at room temperature away from sunlight and moisture unless otherwise stated by manufacturer's instructions or labelling. Keep Levoxyl (Oral) and all medications out of the reach of children.
What To Avoid While Using Levoxyl (Oral)
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
- Make sure your doctor knows if you are taking a blood thinner (Coumadin®), cholestyramine (Questran®), medicine for diabetes (insulin, Diabenese®, Glucotrol®), estrogens, birth control pills, or products used for colds, asthma, appetite control, hay fever, or sinus problems.
Levoxyl (Oral) Warnings
- Check with your doctor before taking this medicine if you have heart disease, high blood pressure, diabetes, or an underactive adrenal or pituitary gland.
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or breastfeeding.
- Large doses of thyroid hormones, especially when taken with diet pills, can result in dangerous side effects.
- Make sure you see your doctor for regular check-ups so your condition can be followed closely.
Levoxyl (Oral) Side Effects
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Skin rash or hives
- Shortness of breath or trouble breathing
- Chest pain
- Fast or pounding heartbeat
- Inability to stand heat
- Extreme nervousness or irritability, tremors
- Severe diarrhea, intense sweating If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Trouble sleeping
- Appetite changes, weight loss
- Irregular menstrual periods