LEVOMETHADYL (Oral) (Liquid)
LEVOMETHADYL (Oral) (Liquid) Drug and Prescription Information
LEVOMETHADYL (Oral) (Liquid)
LEVOMETHADYL (Oral) (Liquid) Medication Classification
LEVOMETHADYL (By mouth)
LEVOMETHADYL (Oral) (Liquid) Brandname
LEVOMETHADYL (Oral) (Liquid) is used for the Treatment
Levomethadyl (lee-voe-METH-a-dil) Used as a part of a treatment program for narcotic addiction.
When To Not Use LEVOMETHADYL (Oral) (Liquid)
You should not use this medicine if you have had an allergic reaction to levomethadyl (LAAM), or if you have heart disease, heart rhythm problems, or electrolyte problems such as low salt or low magnesium levels in your blood. You should not use this medicine if you are also using an MAO inhibitor (Eldepryl®, Marplan®, Nardil®, Parnate®) or medicines to treat abnormal heart rhythm (such as amiodarone, bretylium, disopyramide, quinidine, ibutilide, procainamide, or sotalol). There are many other drugs that should not be taken while you are using levomethadyl. Make sure your doctor knows about ALL other medicines you are using.
How Should You Use LEVOMETHADYL (Oral) (Liquid)
- Your doctor will tell you how much of this medicine to take and how often. Do not take more medicine or take it more often than your doctor tells you to. This medicine can cause serious side effects or even death if you take too much or take it too often.
- You may need to take this medicine for several days before you feel its full effects. Also, if your doctor changes your dose, you may not feel a difference for several days. Keep using this medicine for the full treatment time. You may relapse into the drug addiction if you stop using this medicine too soon.
- Depending on your dosing schedule and the hours of your clinic, you may need to go an extra day between doses (such as over a weekend). If you have withdrawal symptoms during this extra time, tell your doctor. Withdrawal symptoms may include runny or stuffy nose, nausea or stomach pain, diarrhea, muscle aches, and nervousness.
- When using this medicine at home, measure the medicine with a marked measuring spoon, medicine dropper, or medicine cup.
- Never share your medicine with anyone. If a dose is missed:
- This medicine needs to be given on a fixed schedule. If you miss a dose or forget to use your medicine, call your doctor, pharmacist, or clinic for instructions.
Proper LEVOMETHADYL (Oral) (Liquid) Storage
Store LEVOMETHADYL (Oral) (Liquid) at room temperature away from sunlight and moisture unless otherwise stated by manufacturer's instructions or labelling. Keep LEVOMETHADYL (Oral) (Liquid) and all medications out of the reach of children.
What To Avoid While Using LEVOMETHADYL (Oral) (Liquid)
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
- Certain drugs should not be used while using levomethadyl. Using these drugs can cause very serious medical problems, or even death.
- Do not drink alcohol or use any street drugs while you are using this medicine. You could easily have a drug overdose, which may cause serious side effects or even death. If you feel this medicine is not working, tell your doctor.
LEVOMETHADYL (Oral) (Liquid) Warnings
- Make sure your doctor knows if you are pregnant or breast feeding, or if you have a recent head injury, trouble breathing, lung disease, liver disease, kidney disease, a stomach disorder, thyroid problems, prostate problems, Addison's disease, or trouble urinating.
- This medicine may be habit-forming. If you feel that the medicine is not working as well, do not take more than your prescribed dose. Call your doctor for instructions.
- Do not stop using this medicine suddenly without asking your doctor. You may need to slowly decrease your dose before stopping it completely.
- Your doctor will need to check your progress at regular visits while you are using this medicine. Be sure to keep all appointments.
- Make sure any doctor or dentist who treats you knows that you are using this medicine. Adult family members or friends should know that you are using this medicine so they can tell the doctor, in case you are not able to.
- This medicine may make you dizzy or drowsy. Avoid driving, using machines, or doing anything else that could be dangerous if you are not alert.
- This medicine is only part of your treatment for narcotic addiction. You are more likely to succeed in treating this problem if you follow all of your doctor's recommendations.
LEVOMETHADYL (Oral) (Liquid) Side Effects
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Fast, slow, irregular, or pounding heartbeat, lightheadedness, fainting, seizures
- Severe tiredness or weakness, trouble breathing, dizziness when standing, trouble concentrating, blue lips, fingers, or toes
- Uncontrollable drug cravings, thoughts of hurting yourself If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Mild weakness or tiredness
- Trouble sleeping