Questions | Reviews
Can kenalog 40 injections cause liver damage that can become fatal.
by s. mcphie in New York, 10/01/2006
My 12 year old son was diagnosed with Vitiligo, and the Dermatologist gave him a shot of Kenalog-40...Why? He also prescribed Clobetasol 45/LCDO.9 to apply at night. If this does not help, he would give him phototherapy tratment every othe...
by Lisa Butko in San Sebastián, Puerto Rico, 07/29/2009
I am a pharmacist who has been standing for 35 years. My right knee began to give out and was painful beginning 3 years ago after a round of golf on Labor day. Dec 2003, I had arthroscopy for removal of a fibrous plica band. Post surgery, less pain, h...
by donna in sacramento, california, 08/19/2006
Hi i just recieved two set of shot in my face of kenalog to decrease inflamation caused by silicone. I now see two depressions in my skin and they seem to be getting biiger. Is there anyway to stop the process. I am so worried it will get noticable bi...
by WENDY in florida, 05/15/2006
Wendy (and Sue), We are dealing with similar responses. What more have you learned? Thank you. Craig
by craig in Kennewick, WA, USA, 06/29/2006
Kenalog-40 (Injection) Drug and Prescription Information
Kenalog-40 (Injection) Medication Classification
Kenalog-40 (Injection) Brandname
Kenalog-10, Kenalog-40, Triam-Forte, Triamcot, Aristocort Forte, Clinacort, Aristocort, Aristospan
Kenalog-40 (Injection) is used for the Treatment
Triamcinolone (trye-am-SIN-oh-lone) Treats inflammation, certain types of arthritis, and many other medical problems. Belongs to a class of drugs called corticosteroids.
When To Not Use Kenalog-40 (Injection)
D o not use this medicine if you have ever had an allergic reaction to triamcinolone. You should not use triamcinolone if you have a fungal infection.
How Should You Use Kenalog-40 (Injection)
- Your doctor will prescribe your exact dose and tell you how often it should be given.
- This medicine may be given into the buttocks, upper arm, thigh, or other large muscle. This is called an IM, or intramuscular (in-tra-MUSS-cue-lar) injection.
- This medicine may be given into a joint such as a knee or shoulder. This is called an intraarticular (in-tra-are-TIC-you-lar) injection. If a dose is missed:
- This medicine needs to be given on a regular schedule. If you miss a dose, call your doctor for instructions.
Proper Kenalog-40 (Injection) Storage
Store Kenalog-40 (Injection) at room temperature away from sunlight and moisture unless otherwise stated by manufacturer's instructions or labelling. Keep Kenalog-40 (Injection) and all medications out of the reach of children.
What To Avoid While Using Kenalog-40 (Injection)
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
- Make sure your doctor knows if you are also taking insulin, diuretics (water pills), phenobarbital, phenytoin (Dilantin®), rifampin, Coumadin®, or estrogen.
- Talk to your doctor before getting any vaccines (such as flu shots).
Kenalog-40 (Injection) Warnings
- If you are pregnant or breastfeeding, talk with your doctor before using this medicine.
- Before using triamcinolone, let your doctor know if you have liver or thyroid problems, diabetes, cataracts, glaucoma, or herpes simplex that affects your eyes.
- Avoid getting this medicine in your eyes, nose, mouth, or on your skin.
- It may be easier for you to get an infection while you are receiving triamcinolone. Avoid crowded places or being near people who are sick.
- If you are exposed to chickenpox or measles, tell your doctor right away.
- Make sure any doctor or dentist who treats you knows that you are taking triamcinolone.
Kenalog-40 (Injection) Side Effects
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Black or tarry stools
- Muscle weakness or cramps
- Unexplained fever, sore throat If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Fluid retention, weight gain
- Restlessness, anxiety, mood changes
- Redness of the face
- Easy bruising, small purple spots on your skin
- Thinning skin, acne
- Increased hair growth
- Irregular menstrual periods