Iofen-DM NF (Oral)
Iofen-DM NF (Oral) Drug and Prescription Information
Iofen-DM NF (Oral)
Iofen-DM NF (Oral) Medication Classification
ANTITUSSIVE/EXPECTORANT (By mouth)
Iofen-DM NF (Oral) Brandname
Guaifenex DM, Prolex DM, Guaifenesin DM, Gani-Tuss-DM NR, Tussi-Bid, Amibid DM, HT-Tuss DM, Robitussin DM, Guiatussin w/DM, Benylin Expectorant, Tussi-Organidin DM-S NR, Tussi-Organidin DM NR, Iofen-DM NF, Orgadin-Tuss DM, Diabetic Tussin DM
Iofen-DM NF (Oral) is used for the Treatment
Treats a dry, irritated cough caused by the flu or the common cold.
When To Not Use Iofen-DM NF (Oral)
You should not use this medicine if you have ever had an allergic reaction to any cough or cold medicine.
How Should You Use Iofen-DM NF (Oral)
Liquid, Tablet, Long Acting Tablet, Capsule, Liquid Filled Capsule, Long Acting Capsule, Lozenge
- Your doctor will tell you how much of this medicine to use and how often. Do not use more medicine or use it more often than your doctor tells you to.
- If you are using this medicine without a prescription, follow the instructions on the medicine label.
- Measure the oral liquid medicine with a marked measuring spoon, oral syringe, or medicine cup. You might need to shake the medicine before you use it.
- Swallow the capsule or tablet whole, unless the directions say otherwise. Do not break, crush, or chew it, unless the directions say you can break or open it.
- Place the lozenge in your mouth and let it melt slowly. Do not swallow the lozenge whole.
- This medicine is supposed to help loosen phlegm and thin mucus in the lungs. Drink extra fluids, and keep the air around you moist with a humidifier or steam vaporizer. If a dose is missed:
- If you miss a dose or forget to use your medicine, use it as soon as you can. If it is almost time for your next dose, wait until then to use the medicine and skip the missed dose. Do not use extra medicine to make up for a missed dose.
Proper Iofen-DM NF (Oral) Storage
Store Iofen-DM NF (Oral) at room temperature away from sunlight and moisture unless otherwise stated by manufacturer's instructions or labelling. Keep Iofen-DM NF (Oral) and all medications out of the reach of children.
What To Avoid While Using Iofen-DM NF (Oral)
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
- Do not drink alcohol while you are using this medicine.
- Make sure your doctor knows if you are also using sleeping pills, sedatives, other cold and allergy medicines, muscle relaxants, tranquilizers, or pain pills before you use this medicine.
- You should not use with monoamine oxidase (MAO) inhibitors such as Nardil®, Parnate®, Eldepryl®, or Marplan® without your doctor's approval.
Iofen-DM NF (Oral) Warnings
- If you are pregnant or breastfeeding, talk to your doctor before taking this medicine.
- Talk to your doctor if you have asthma, emphysema, chronic bronchitis, or a liver disease before you take this medicine.
- Some liquid cough medicines contain alcohol.
- Call your doctor if your cough does not improve or lasts longer than 7 days.
- Call your doctor if your cough gets worse, if you cough up yellow mucus, or if you have a fever, rash, sore throat, vomiting, or continuing headache with the cough.
Iofen-DM NF (Oral) Side Effects
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Trouble breathing
- Trouble urinating
- Changes in the amount of urine
- Severe drowsiness
- Rash or itching If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Drowsiness, dizziness
- Nervousness, restlessness
- Upset stomach