Drisdol (Oral) Drug and Prescription Information
Drisdol (Oral) Medication Classification
ERGOCALCIFEROL (By mouth)
Drisdol (Oral) Brandname
Drisdol, Vitamin D, Calciferol
Drisdol (Oral) is used for the Treatment
Ergocalciferol (er-goe-kal-SIF-e-role) Increases the amount of vitamin D in your body. Also treats problems caused by not having enough calcium in the body (such as rickets). Ergocalciferol is a form of vitamin D.
When To Not Use Drisdol (Oral)
You should not use this medicine if you have had an allergic reaction to vitamin D.
How Should You Use Drisdol (Oral)
Capsule, Liquid Filled Capsule, Tablet, Liquid
- Your doctor will tell you how much of this medicine to use and how often. Do not use more medicine or use it more often than your doctor tells you to.
- If you are using this medicine without a prescription, follow the instructions on the medicine label.
- You may take this medicine with or without food.
- Use the dropper that comes with the oral liquid to measure your dose. This medicine may either be mixed with foods such as cereal and fruit juice or dropped into the mouth. If a dose is missed:
- Take the missed dose as soon as possible.
- Skip the missed dose if it is almost time for your next regular dose.
- You should not use two doses at the same time.
Proper Drisdol (Oral) Storage
Store Drisdol (Oral) at room temperature away from sunlight and moisture unless otherwise stated by manufacturer's instructions or labelling. Keep Drisdol (Oral) and all medications out of the reach of children.
What To Avoid While Using Drisdol (Oral)
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
- Avoid antacids that contain magnesium (such as Maalox® and Mylanta®) while using this medicine.
- Make sure your doctor knows if you are also using cholestyramine (Questran®) or digoxin (Lanoxin®).
Drisdol (Oral) Warnings
- Make sure your doctor knows if you are pregnant or breastfeeding.
- Make sure your doctor knows about all health problems that you have.
Drisdol (Oral) Side Effects
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Irregular heartbeat
- Weakness, headache, extreme tiredness
- Severe stomach pain
- Bone pain
- Cloudy urine If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Nausea and vomiting
- Diarrhea or constipation