DOXYCYCLINE (Oral) (Capsule
Questions | Reviews
Hi, I have been feeling a burning sensation on tip of my pennis.My doctor did a test for sexually transmitted disease and it came out negative. He has prescribed DOXYCYCLINE MONOHYDR 100mg and have asked me to take it for 10 days. I have been takin...
by Vils in Woodland Hills,CA, 06/25/2010
I have been taking Doxycycline as perscribed by my dermatologist to prevent cysts on my face. Ever since I have started to take it, my silver jewelry tarnishes at night. I thought there might be a correlation. Has anyone ever brought this up before?
by Megan Miller, 03/04/2006
DOXYCYCLINE (Oral) (Capsule Drug and Prescription Information
DOXYCYCLINE (Oral) (Capsule
DOXYCYCLINE (Oral) (Capsule Medication Classification
DOXYCYCLINE (By mouth)
DOXYCYCLINE (Oral) (Capsule Brandname
Periostat, Doryx, Adoxa, Vibramycin Calcium, Vibramycin Hyclate, Vibra-Tabs, Doxycycline Hyclate, Monodox, Vibramycin Monohydrate
DOXYCYCLINE (Oral) (Capsule is used for the Treatment
Doxycycline (dox-i-SYE-kleen) Treats infections, and prevents malaria. This medicine is a tetracycline antibiotic.
When To Not Use DOXYCYCLINE (Oral) (Capsule
You should not use doxycycline if you have ever had an allergic reaction to any tetracycline antibiotic (such as minocycline, tetracycline). Do not give this medicine to children under 8 years old because it can permanently change tooth color. You should not use this medicine if you are pregnant or breastfeeding.
How Should You Use DOXYCYCLINE (Oral) (Capsule
Capsule, Delayed Release Capsule, Liquid, Tablet
- Your doctor will tell you how much of this medicine to take and how often. Do not take more medicine or take it more often than your doctor tells you to.
- Swallow the medicine with a full glass of water. You may take the medicine with food if it upsets your stomach.
- Swallow the delayed release capsule whole. Do not break, crush, chew, or open it.
- Shake the oral liquid well just before each use. Measure the medicine with a marked measuring spoon or medicine cup.
- Keep using this medicine for the full treatment time, even if you feel better after the first few doses. Your infection may not clear up if you stop using the medicine too soon.
- If you are using this medicine to prevent malaria while traveling, start taking the medicine 1 or 2 days before you travel. Take the medicine every day during your trip and continue taking it for 4 weeks after you return. However, do not use the medicine for longer than 4 months. If a dose is missed:
- If you miss a dose or forget to take your medicine, take it as soon as you can. If it is almost time for your next dose, wait until then to take the medicine and skip the missed dose. Do not use extra medicine to make up for a missed dose.
Proper DOXYCYCLINE (Oral) (Capsule Storage
Store DOXYCYCLINE (Oral) (Capsule at room temperature away from sunlight and moisture unless otherwise stated by manufacturer's instructions or labelling. Keep DOXYCYCLINE (Oral) (Capsule and all medications out of the reach of children.
What To Avoid While Using DOXYCYCLINE (Oral) (Capsule
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
- Make sure your doctor knows if you are also using penicillin, Pepto-Bismol®, antacids (such as Maalox®, Mylanta®), a blood thinner (Coumadin®), a sedative (such as phenobarbital, Nembutal®, Seconal®), medicine for seizures (Dilantin®, Tegretol®), or multivitamins or supplements that contain calcium, magnesium, or iron.
- Birth control pills may not work while you are using doxycycline. To keep from getting pregnant, use another form of birth control such as condoms, a diaphragm, or contraceptive foam or jelly.
DOXYCYCLINE (Oral) (Capsule Warnings
- Make sure your doctor knows if you have liver disease, or asthma, or if you are allergic to sulfites.
- This medicine may make your skin more sensitive to sunlight. Use a sunscreen when you are outdoors. Avoid sunlamps and tanning beds.
- If you are using this medicine to prevent malaria, take extra care not to get bitten by mosquitoes. Use protective clothing, mosquito netting or screens, and an insect repellent.
- Make sure any doctor or dentist who treats you knows that you are using this medicine. You may need to stop using this medicine several days before having surgery. This medicine may affect the results of certain medical tests.
DOXYCYCLINE (Oral) (Capsule Side Effects
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Allergic reaction: Itching or hives, swelling in face or hands, swelling or tingling in the mouth or throat, tightness in chest, trouble breathing
- Burning, pain, or irritation the upper stomach, middle chest, or throat
- Trouble swallowing
- Unusual bleeding or bruising If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Diarrhea, nausea, vomiting, loss of appetite
- Vaginal itching or discharge
- Sore mouth or gums