Dovonex (Topical) Drug and Prescription Information
Dovonex (Topical) Medication Classification
CALCIPOTRIENE (On the skin)
Dovonex (Topical) Brandname
Dovonex (Topical) is used for the Treatment
Calcipotriene (kal-si-POE-try-een) Treats psoriasis (red, scaly areas on the skin).
When To Not Use Dovonex (Topical)
You should not use this medicine if you have had an unusual or allergic reaction to any ingredient in this product. Calcipotriene should not be used if you have hypercalcemia (too much calcium in your body). You should not use this medicine on your face.
How Should You Use Dovonex (Topical)
Ointment, Liquid, Cream
- Your doctor will tell you how much medicine to use and how often.
- This medicine is for use on the skin only. Do not get it in your eyes, nose, or mouth. Do not use on skin areas that have cuts or scrapes. If it does get on these areas, rinse it off right away.
- Wash your hands before and after each use.
- Apply a thin layer of the ointment or cream to the red, scaly patches on your skin. Rub in gently and thoroughly.
- To use the liquid on your scalp: First comb your hair to remove extra flakes and scales. Then apply the medicine only on the affected patches on your scalp. Gently rub the medicine in. Be careful to not get the medicine on your forehead.
- The liquid medicine is flammable. This means it could catch on fire. Do not use the medicine near flames or fire. This includes cigarettes, lighters, and candles.
- Your skin should look better after about 2 weeks of use. If a dose is missed:
- May be used as soon as possible.
- Skip the missed dose if it is almost time for your next dose.
- Do not put on two doses at the same time.
Proper Dovonex (Topical) Storage
Store Dovonex (Topical) at room temperature away from sunlight and moisture unless otherwise stated by manufacturer's instructions or labelling. Keep Dovonex (Topical) and all medications out of the reach of children.
What To Avoid While Using Dovonex (Topical)
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
- Do not mix or use with other skin medicines unless your doctor tells you to do so.
Dovonex (Topical) Warnings
- If you are pregnant or breastfeeding, talk to your doctor before using this medicine.
- You should not use more calcipotriene than your doctor ordered. Using too much may cause too much calcium to build up in your body.
Dovonex (Topical) Side Effects
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Muscle weakness
- Severe nausea or vomiting
- Severe skin irritation or worsening of psoriasis
- Irregular heartbeat If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Burning, redness, or peeling of skin