DOFETILIDE (Oral) (Capsule)
DOFETILIDE (Oral) (Capsule) Drug and Prescription Information
DOFETILIDE (Oral) (Capsule)
DOFETILIDE (Oral) (Capsule) Medication Classification
DOFETILIDE (By mouth)
DOFETILIDE (Oral) (Capsule) Brandname
DOFETILIDE (Oral) (Capsule) is used for the Treatment
Dofetilide (doe-FET-il-ide) Treats irregular heartbeat (arrhythmia). Belongs to a class of drugs called antiarrhythmics.
When To Not Use DOFETILIDE (Oral) (Capsule)
You should not use this medicine if you have had an allergic reaction to dofetilide, or if you are using cimetidine (Tagamet®), trimethoprim (Proloprim®), trimethoprim with sulfamethoxazole (Bactrim®, Septra®), ketoconazole (Nizoral®), verapamil (Calan®), prochlorperazine (Compazine®), or megestrol (Megace®). Do not use this medicine if you have a heart condition called "long QT syndrome," or severe kidney problems.
How Should You Use DOFETILIDE (Oral) (Capsule)
- Your doctor will start you on this medicine in the hospital in order to check your heart rhythm and find the right dose for you.
- Use the exact dose that your doctor ordered. Keep using it even if you feel fine.
- Use this medicine at the same time every day to give your heart a steady supply of the medicine.
- Drink plenty of fluids while you are using this medicine.
- Do not use extra doses or skip doses of this medicine.
- You may need to carry identification that says you are using dofetilide. Ask your doctor about this. If a dose is missed:
- Skip the missed dose. Use your next dose at the regular time.
- Do not use two doses at the same time.
Proper DOFETILIDE (Oral) (Capsule) Storage
Store DOFETILIDE (Oral) (Capsule) at room temperature away from sunlight and moisture unless otherwise stated by manufacturer's instructions or labelling. Keep DOFETILIDE (Oral) (Capsule) and all medications out of the reach of children.
What To Avoid While Using DOFETILIDE (Oral) (Capsule)
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
- Be sure your doctor knows about all medicines you are using, including vitamins, dietary supplements, and any natural or herbal remedies.
DOFETILIDE (Oral) (Capsule) Warnings
- If you are pregnant or breastfeeding, talk to your doctor before using this medicine.
- Make sure your doctor knows if you have any heart problems or kidney disease.
- Check with your doctor before changing any prescription or over-the-counter medicines or supplements.
- If you are treated by a different health care provider, or go to a hospital, tell them you are using dofetilide and give them a list of all medicines and supplements you use.
DOFETILIDE (Oral) (Capsule) Side Effects
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Chest pain
- Fast or irregular heartbeat
- Increase in thirst
- Severe diarrhea
- Trouble breathing
- Unusual sweating
- Vomiting with loss of appetite If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Cough, runny nose, or sore throat