CLONIDINE (Oral) (Tablet)
Questions | Reviews
I have been taking clonidine oral tablet 25mg for about twenty years and now my doctor has decided that this is possibly to long and wishes me to consider coming off the drug. i am naturally worried and would appreciate some sound advice
by sandra in portsmouth england, 02/23/2006
CLONIDINE (Oral) (Tablet) Drug and Prescription Information
CLONIDINE (Oral) (Tablet)
CLONIDINE (Oral) (Tablet) Medication Classification
CLONIDINE (By mouth)
CLONIDINE (Oral) (Tablet) Brandname
CLONIDINE (Oral) (Tablet) is used for the Treatment
Clonidine (KLOE-ni-deen) Treats high blood pressure. May also be used to treat migraine headaches, Tourette's syndrome, or other medical conditions.Belongs to a class of drugs called antihypertensives.
When To Not Use CLONIDINE (Oral) (Tablet)
You should not use this medicine if you have ever had an allergic reaction to clonidine.
How Should You Use CLONIDINE (Oral) (Tablet)
- Your doctor will tell you how much medicine to use and how often. Use this medicine exactly as ordered by your doctor. Even if you feel fine, your blood pressure can still be high.
- You may take your medicine with food or milk to avoid stomach upset.
Proper CLONIDINE (Oral) (Tablet) Storage
Store CLONIDINE (Oral) (Tablet) at room temperature away from sunlight and moisture unless otherwise stated by manufacturer's instructions or labelling. Keep CLONIDINE (Oral) (Tablet) and all medications out of the reach of children.
What To Avoid While Using CLONIDINE (Oral) (Tablet)
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
- Avoid drinking alcohol.
- Make sure your doctor knows if you are using other medicines that may make you drowsy, such as sleeping pills, sedatives, muscle relaxants, tranquilizers, narcotic pain killers, tricyclic antidepressants (such as Elavil® or Anafranil®) or beta-blockers (such as Tenormin® or Inderal®).
CLONIDINE (Oral) (Tablet) Warnings
- It is important for your doctor to know if you have any other medical problems, particularly heart or blood vessel disease, sugar diabetes, kidney disorders, depression, Raynaud's disease, stroke, or lupus.
- If you are pregnant or breastfeeding, talk to your doctor before using this medicine.
- This medicine may make you feel dizzy or lightheaded. If it does, avoid driving a car or operating machinery.
- To avoid getting dizzy while using this medicine, get up slowly from a lying or sitting position.
- Do not stop using this medicine suddenly. You may need to use smaller and smaller doses before completely stopping.
CLONIDINE (Oral) (Tablet) Side Effects
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Trouble breathing
- Very slow heartbeat
- Severe skin rash
- Unusual tiredness or extreme weakness If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Dry mouth
- Loss of appetite