CLOMIPRAMINE (Oral) (Capsule
CLOMIPRAMINE (Oral) (Capsule Drug and Prescription Information
CLOMIPRAMINE (Oral) (Capsule
CLOMIPRAMINE (Oral) (Capsule Medication Classification
CLOMIPRAMINE (By mouth)
CLOMIPRAMINE (Oral) (Capsule Brandname
CLOMIPRAMINE (Oral) (Capsule is used for the Treatment
Clomipramine (kloe-MI-pra-meen) Treats obsessive compulsive disorder, depression, chronic pain, bulimia, sleep disorders, and panic disorder.Belongs to a class of drugs called tricyclic antidepressants.
When To Not Use CLOMIPRAMINE (Oral) (Capsule
You should not use clomipramine if you have ever had an allergic reaction to clomipramine or to related medicine such as Elavil® or nortriptyline. Clomipramine should not be used if you have had a recent heart attack or are taking an MAO inhibitor (such as Nardil® or Parnate®).
How Should You Use CLOMIPRAMINE (Oral) (Capsule
- Take with or without food.
- Do not break or chew the capsules. You may open the capsule and mix the medicine beads with soft food (applesauce, pudding). Swallow the mixture without chewing.
- It may be 2 to 3 weeks after you start clomipramine before you notice an improvement in your symptoms.
- Do not stop taking clomipramine suddenly without asking your doctor. If a dose is missed:
- Take the missed dose as soon as possible.
- If it is almost time for your next dose, wait until then to take your medicine and skip the missed dose.
- If you take one dose a day at bedtime, You should not use the missed dose the next morning without asking your doctor.
- You should not use two doses at the same time.
Proper CLOMIPRAMINE (Oral) (Capsule Storage
Store CLOMIPRAMINE (Oral) (Capsule at room temperature away from sunlight and moisture unless otherwise stated by manufacturer's instructions or labelling. Keep CLOMIPRAMINE (Oral) (Capsule and all medications out of the reach of children.
What To Avoid While Using CLOMIPRAMINE (Oral) (Capsule
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
- Avoid drinking alcohol.
- Make sure your doctor knows if you are taking other medicines that could make you drowsy, such as sleeping pills, sedatives, cold or allergy medicines, narcotic pain killers, muscle relaxants or tranquilizers.
CLOMIPRAMINE (Oral) (Capsule Warnings
- Check with your doctor before taking clomipramine if you have glaucoma, high blood pressure, heart problems, seizures, trouble going to the bathroom (urinating), or if you have kidney or liver disease
- If you are pregnant or breastfeeding, talk to your doctor before taking this medicine.
- This medicine may make you drowsy or dizzy. Be careful if driving a car or operating machinery.
- Before having surgery, be sure to tell your doctor that you are taking clomipramine.
- Clomipramine may cause increased sensitivity to sunlight. Use a sunscreen when outdoors. Avoid sunlamps and tanning beds.
CLOMIPRAMINE (Oral) (Capsule Side Effects
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Fast, pounding heartbeat
- Agitation or hallucinations
- Rash or hives If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Dizziness or lightheadedness
- Drowsiness or headache
- Dry mouth
- Nausea or weight changes
- Constipation or trouble urinating
- Trouble having sex (impotence)
- Changes in vision such as trouble focusing