CLARITHROMYCIN (Oral) (Tablet)
Questions | Reviews
I was prescribed this product back on May 13th 2006 and then was re prescribed this product, I didnt get to finish the product the first time, I was curious if this product would still be good it doesnt smell bad.... could you email me with what the t...
by Jason in Kingston, Ontario Canada, 10/05/2006
can yogurt with acidopholis or acidopholis capsules be taken with Clarithromycin oral tabs?
by Judy in Wooster, Oh, 02/05/2008
CLARITHROMYCIN (Oral) (Tablet) Drug and Prescription Information
CLARITHROMYCIN (Oral) (Tablet)
CLARITHROMYCIN (Oral) (Tablet) Medication Classification
CLARITHROMYCIN (By mouth)
CLARITHROMYCIN (Oral) (Tablet) Brandname
Biaxin XL, Biaxin Filmtab, Biaxin, Prevpac
CLARITHROMYCIN (Oral) (Tablet) is used for the Treatment
Clarithromycin (kla-RITH-roe-mye-sin) Treats infections that are caused by bacteria. This medicine is a macrolide antibiotic.
When To Not Use CLARITHROMYCIN (Oral) (Tablet)
You should not use this medicine if you have had an allergic reaction to clarithromycin, erythromycin, or other macrolide antibiotics, or if you are also using Propulsid®, Orap®, or Seldane®.
How Should You Use CLARITHROMYCIN (Oral) (Tablet)
Tablet, Long Acting Tablet, Liquid
- Your doctor will tell you how much of this medicine to take and how often. Do not take more medicine or take it more often than your doctor tells you to.
- Keep using this medicine for the full treatment time, even if you feel better after the first few doses. Your infection may not clear up if you stop using the medicine too soon.
- You may take the medicine with or without food.
- Take the extended-release tablet (Biaxin® XL) with food or milk.
- Measure the oral liquid (Biaxin® Granules) with a marked measuring spoon or medicine cup. Shake the medicine well just before using. Use the oral liquid within 14 days after filling the prescription. If a dose is missed:
- If you miss a dose or forget to take your medicine, take it as soon as you can. If it is almost time for your next dose, wait until then to take the medicine and skip the missed dose.
- Do not use extra medicine to make up for a missed dose.
Proper CLARITHROMYCIN (Oral) (Tablet) Storage
Store CLARITHROMYCIN (Oral) (Tablet) at room temperature away from sunlight and moisture unless otherwise stated by manufacturer's instructions or labelling. Keep CLARITHROMYCIN (Oral) (Tablet) and all medications out of the reach of children.
What To Avoid While Using CLARITHROMYCIN (Oral) (Tablet)
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
- Make sure your doctor knows if you are also using theophylline, carbamazepine (Tegretol®), zidovudine (Retrovir®), ritonavir (Norvir®), digoxin (Lanoxin®), triazolam (Halcion®), astemizole (Hismanal®), cisapride (Propulsid®), dofetilide (Tikosyn®), a blood thinner such as warfarin (Coumadin®), ergot medicines (such as Cafergot®, Wigraine®), medicine to lower cholesterol (such as Lipitor®, Pravachol®, Zocor®), or diabetes medicine (insulin or oral medicine such as glipizide, glyburide, Amaryl®, Actos, Avandia®, Glucotrol®, Glucophage®).
CLARITHROMYCIN (Oral) (Tablet) Warnings
- Make sure your doctor knows if you are pregnant or breastfeeding, or if you have kidney disease, liver disease, or a history of porphyria.
- Do not use this medicine for any infection that has not been checked by a doctor.
CLARITHROMYCIN (Oral) (Tablet) Side Effects
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Allergic reaction: Itching or hives, swelling in face or hands, swelling or tingling in the mouth or throat, tightness in chest, trouble breathing
- Blistering, peeling, red skin rash
- Severe diarrhea (watery and may be bloody)
- Fast or irregular heartbeat
- Unusual bruising or bleeding
- Yellow skin or eyes, dark-colored urine or pale stools If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Change in the color of your teeth
- Nausea, vomiting, or stomach upset
- Unusual taste in your mouth