Questions | Reviews
My daughters doctor prescribed citrucel three times a day 10-15 minutes before each meal. What does this do? Thank you law
by lois wease in apache junction, arizona, 09/24/2007
Could someone tell me how many net carbs in Sugar-Free Citrucel? Thanks
by Gerry in S.C., 11/12/2007
HOW MANY CARBOHYDRATES ARE IN A SERVING OF CITRUCEL?
by JIM in WICHITA FALLS TX, 04/29/2008
Citrucel (Oral) Drug and Prescription Information
Citrucel (Oral) Medication Classification
LAXATIVE, BULK-FORMING (By mouth)
Citrucel (Oral) Brandname
Metamucil, Metamucil Smooth Texture, Citrucel, Fibercon, Resource Benefiber, Konsyl, Equalactin, Unifiber, Fiber Ease, Psyllium Husk, Syllact, V-Lax, Reguloid, Bulk-K, Genfiber
Citrucel (Oral) is used for the Treatment
Treats constipation by helping you have a bowel movement.
When To Not Use Citrucel (Oral)
You should not use this medicine if you have ever had an allergic reaction to any bulk-forming laxative. You should not use if you have intestinal blockage, severe stomach pain or fever, or rectal bleeding that you don't know the cause of.
How Should You Use Citrucel (Oral)
Liquid, Powder, Granule, Tablet, Chewable Tablet, Delayed Release Tablet, Capsule, Packet, Wafer
- Your doctor will tell you how much of this medicine to use and how often. Do not use more medicine or use it more often than your doctor tells you to.
- If you are using this medicine without a prescription, follow the instructions on the medicine label.
- Take each dose with at least 8 ounces (1 cup) of water. You could choke if you do not drink enough water when you take this medicine. Drink at least 6 to 8 full glasses of liquid every day to help soften your stools (bowel movements).
- Mix the powder or granules with at least 8 ounces (1 cup) of water or other liquid. Drink this mixture right away. Do not mix with carbonated beverages, such as soda pop or club soda. Read the directions on the package label if you want to use a liquid other than water, because you can use different liquids for different brands of laxatives. Do not swallow the powder or granules dry.
- Measure the oral liquid medicine with a marked measuring spoon, oral syringe, or medicine cup. You might need to shake the oral liquid before measuring your dose.
- Do not chew, crush, or break the delayed-release tablet. If a dose is missed:
- If you miss a dose or forget to use your medicine, use it as soon as you can. If it is almost time for your next dose, wait until then to use the medicine and skip the missed dose. Do not use extra medicine to make up for a missed dose.
Proper Citrucel (Oral) Storage
Store Citrucel (Oral) at room temperature away from sunlight and moisture unless otherwise stated by manufacturer's instructions or labelling. Keep Citrucel (Oral) and all medications out of the reach of children.
What To Avoid While Using Citrucel (Oral)
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
- Make sure your doctor knows if you are also using tetracycline, a blood thinner (Coumadin®), digitalis (Lanoxin®), or salicylates (aspirin).
Citrucel (Oral) Warnings
- Check with your doctor before using if you are pregnant, or if you have diabetes, high blood pressure, heart disease, or trouble swallowing.
- This medicine might contain phenylalanine (aspartame). This is only a concern if you have a disorder called phenylketonuria (a problem with amino acids). Talk to your doctor before using this medicine.
- Laxatives should not be given to children under 6 years of age unless ordered by a doctor.
- Check with your doctor if you have sudden changes in bowel habits that last for more than 2 weeks.
- You should not use this laxative for longer than 1 week unless approved by your doctor. Laxatives may be habit-forming and can harm your bowels if you use them too long.
Citrucel (Oral) Side Effects
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Skin rash
- Itchy skin
- Trouble breathing
- Severe constipation or abdominal pain
- Trouble swallowing If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Loose stools