CIPROFLOXACIN (Injection) (Injectable)
CIPROFLOXACIN (Injection) (Injectable) Drug and Prescription Information
CIPROFLOXACIN (Injection) (Injectable)
CIPROFLOXACIN (Injection) (Injectable) Medication Classification
CIPROFLOXACIN (Injection) (Injectable) Brandname
CIPROFLOXACIN (Injection) (Injectable) is used for the Treatment
Ciprofloxacin (sip-roe-FLOX-a-sin) Treats infections that are caused by bacteria. This medicine is a fluoroquinolone (floor-oh-KWIN-oh-lone) antibiotic.
When To Not Use CIPROFLOXACIN (Injection) (Injectable)
You should not use this medicine if you have ever had an allergic reaction to ciprofloxacin or to similar medicines such as levofloxacin (Levaquin®), gatifloxacin (Tequin), norfloxacin (Noroxin®), or ofloxacin (Floxin®). This medicine should not be given to children.
How Should You Use CIPROFLOXACIN (Injection) (Injectable)
- Your doctor will prescribe your exact dose and tell you how often it should be given. This medicine is given through a needle placed in one of your veins. This medicine is given slowly, so the needle will remain in place for about an hour.
- You may be taught how to give your medicine at home. Make sure you understand all instructions before giving yourself an injection. Do not use more medicine or use it more often than your doctor tells you to.
- Use a new needle and syringe each time you inject your medicine.
- Never share your medicine with anyone. If a dose is missed:
- If you miss a dose or forget to use your medicine, use it as soon as you can. If it is almost time for your next dose, wait until then to use the medicine and skip the missed dose. Do not use extra medicine to make up for a missed dose.
Proper CIPROFLOXACIN (Injection) (Injectable) Storage
Store CIPROFLOXACIN (Injection) (Injectable) at room temperature away from sunlight and moisture unless otherwise stated by manufacturer's instructions or labelling. Keep CIPROFLOXACIN (Injection) (Injectable) and all medications out of the reach of children.
What To Avoid While Using CIPROFLOXACIN (Injection) (Injectable)
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
- Make sure your doctor knows if you are also using blood thinners (Coumadin®), cyclosporine (Sandimmune®, Neoral®), phenytoin (Dilantin®), probenecid (Benemid®), theophylline, or diabetes medicine taken by mouth (such as glyburide, Amaryl®, Actos, Avandia®, Glucotrol®, Glucophage®).
- Avoid caffeine (coffee, soda, chocolate) while you are using this medicine.
CIPROFLOXACIN (Injection) (Injectable) Warnings
- Make sure your doctor knows if you are pregnant or breastfeeding, or if you have a history of heart disease, heart rhythm problems, kidney disease, hypokalemia (low blood potassium), stroke, or seizure disorder (such as epilepsy).
- Your doctor will need to check your blood or urine at regular visits while you are using this medicine. Be sure to keep all appointments.
- This medicine may make your skin more sensitive to sunlight. Use a sunscreen when you are outdoors. Avoid sunlamps and tanning beds.
- Call your doctor if you have pain, swelling, or tearing of a tendon, such as in the back of your knee or ankle, in your shoulder or elbow, or in your hand or wrist. You may need to stop using the medicine.
CIPROFLOXACIN (Injection) (Injectable) Side Effects
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Allergic reaction: Itching or hives, swelling in face or hands, swelling or tingling in the mouth or throat, tightness in chest, trouble breathing
- Chest pain, or fast, pounding, or irregular heartbeat
- Unusual bleeding or bruising, skin rash, redness, blistering, or peeling
- Yellow eyes or skin If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Dizziness, nervousness, anxiety, confusion, or agitation
- Muscle or joint pain
- Nausea, vomiting, stomach pain, constipation
- Pain, swelling, or irritation where the IV needle is placed / shot is given
- Sores or white patches in your mouth or throat
- Vaginal itching or discharge