Carnitine (Oral) Drug and Prescription Information
Carnitine (Oral) Medication Classification
LEVOCARNITINE (By mouth)
Carnitine (Oral) Brandname
Carnitine (Oral) is used for the Treatment
Levocarnitine (lee-voe-KAR-ni-teen) Treats carnitine deficiency.
When To Not Use Carnitine (Oral)
This medicine restores the level of carnitine, a substance naturally present in the human body. There are no known reasons that the medicine should not be taken when prescribed by your doctor.
How Should You Use Carnitine (Oral)
Capsule, Wafer, Liquid Filled Capsule, Liquid, Powder, Tablet
- Your doctor will tell you how much of this medicine to take and how often. Do not take more medicine or take it more often than your doctor tells you to.
- If you are using this medicine without a prescription, follow the instructions on the medicine label.
- It is best to take this medicine with meals, at evenly spaced times during the day.
- Swallow the capsule, gel capsule, or tablet whole. Do not crush, chew, or break it.
- The chewable wafer should be chewed before you swallow it.
- Measure the oral liquid medicine with a marked measuring spoon or medicine cup. The liquid may be taken alone or dissolved in juice or water. Drink the medicine slowly.
- Mix the powder with at least 4 ounces of juice or water and drink the mixture slowly.
- Never share your medicine with anyone. If a dose is missed:
- If you miss a dose or forget to take your medicine, take it as soon as you can. If it is almost time for your next dose, wait until then to take the medicine and skip the missed dose.
- Do not use extra medicine to make up for a missed dose.
Proper Carnitine (Oral) Storage
Store Carnitine (Oral) at room temperature away from sunlight and moisture unless otherwise stated by manufacturer's instructions or labelling. Keep Carnitine (Oral) and all medications out of the reach of children.
What To Avoid While Using Carnitine (Oral)Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
Carnitine (Oral) Warnings
- Make sure your doctor knows if you are pregnant or breastfeeding, or if you have kidney disease, or a seizure disorder.
- Your doctor may want to test your blood while you are taking this medicine. Make sure you keep all your appointments.
Carnitine (Oral) Side Effects
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Seizures If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Nausea and/or vomiting
- Stomach cramps
- Unusual body odor