Cardura (Oral) Drug and Prescription Information
Cardura (Oral) Medication Classification
DOXAZOSIN (By mouth)
Cardura (Oral) Brandname
Cardura (Oral) is used for the Treatment
Doxazosin (dox-AY-zoe-sin) Treats high blood pressure and other conditions such as enlarged prostate (benign prostatic hyperplasia, or BPH).
When To Not Use Cardura (Oral)
You should not use this medicine if you have had an allergic reaction to doxazosin or to similar medicines such as prazosin (Minipress®) or terazosin (Hytrin®).
How Should You Use Cardura (Oral)
- Your doctor will tell you how much of this medicine to take and how often. Do not take more medicine or take it more often than your doctor tells you to.
- You may take this medicine with or without food.
- You may feel dizzy or lightheaded, and fainting may occur with your first dose of doxazosin. Take your first dose at bedtime unless your doctor tells you otherwise. If a dose is missed:
- If you miss a dose or forget to take your medicine, take it as soon as you can. If it is almost time for your next dose, wait until then to take the medicine and skip the missed dose.
- Do not use extra medicine to make up for a missed dose.
Proper Cardura (Oral) Storage
Store Cardura (Oral) at room temperature away from sunlight and moisture unless otherwise stated by manufacturer's instructions or labelling. Keep Cardura (Oral) and all medications out of the reach of children.
What To Avoid While Using Cardura (Oral)
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
- Do not drink alcohol while you are using this medicine.
Cardura (Oral) Warnings
- Make sure your doctor knows if you are pregnant or breastfeeding, or if you have kidney or liver disease, have ever had a stroke, or plan to have surgery.
- This medicine may make you dizzy or drowsy. Avoid driving, using machines, or doing anything else that could be dangerous if you are not alert.
- If you stop using this medicine, your blood pressure may go up. High blood pressure usually has no symptoms. Even if you feel well, do not stop using the medicine without asking your doctor.
Cardura (Oral) Side Effects
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Allergic reaction: Itching or hives, swelling in face or hands, swelling or tingling in the mouth or throat, tightness in chest, trouble breathing
- Chest pain (may be related to your disease and not a side effect)
- Fast, slow, pounding, or irregular heartbeat
- Lightheadedness or fainting
- Painful, prolonged erection of the penis, not caused by sexual arousal
- Problems with urination
- Stomach pain, loss of appetite, dark-colored urine
- Swelling in the hands, ankles, or feet
- Unusual bleeding or bruising If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Breast enlargement or swelling
- Joint or muscle pain
- Nausea or vomiting
- Problems having sex
- Runny or stuffy nose
- Weight gain