BROMOCRIPTINE (Oral) (Capsule
BROMOCRIPTINE (Oral) (Capsule Drug and Prescription Information
BROMOCRIPTINE (Oral) (Capsule
BROMOCRIPTINE (Oral) (Capsule Medication Classification
BROMOCRIPTINE (By mouth)
BROMOCRIPTINE (Oral) (Capsule Brandname
BROMOCRIPTINE (Oral) (Capsule is used for the Treatment
Bromocriptine (broe-moe-KRIP-teen) Treats several different medical conditions including menstrual problems, growth hormone overproduction, Parkinson's disease, and pituitary tumors. Also used to stop breast milk production.Belongs to a class of drugs called ergot alkaloids.
When To Not Use BROMOCRIPTINE (Oral) (Capsule
You should not take bromocriptine if you have ever had an allergic reaction to bromocriptine or to other ergot alkaloid medicine, such as ergotamine. Bromocriptine should not be taken by children under 15 or women who are breastfeeding. You should not take bromocriptine if you have uncontrolled high blood pressure or toxemia of pregnancy.
How Should You Use BROMOCRIPTINE (Oral) (Capsule
- Your doctor will tell you how much medicine to take and how often. Keep all medicine away from children.
- You may take your medicine with food or milk to avoid stomach upset.
- You may not feel the effects of bromocriptine until you have been taking it for 2 to 3 weeks.
- Do not stop taking bromocriptine unless your doctor tells you to. If a dose is missed:
- Take your medicine as soon as you remember that you have missed your dose.
- If you are more than 4 hours late, wait until it is time for your next dose and skip the missed dose.
- You should not use two doses at one time.
Proper BROMOCRIPTINE (Oral) (Capsule Storage
Store BROMOCRIPTINE (Oral) (Capsule at room temperature away from sunlight and moisture unless otherwise stated by manufacturer's instructions or labelling. Keep BROMOCRIPTINE (Oral) (Capsule and all medications out of the reach of children.
What To Avoid While Using BROMOCRIPTINE (Oral) (Capsule
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
- Make sure your doctor knows if you are taking birth control pills, estrogen (Estradiol® LA, Premarin®), progestin (Provera®, Norplant®), or levodopa (Dopar®).
- Avoid drinking alcohol while you are using bromocriptine.
BROMOCRIPTINE (Oral) (Capsule Warnings
- Check with your doctor before taking this medicine if you have liver or kidney disease, stomach ulcers, heart disease, or have ever had problems with mental illness.
- If you are pregnant or breastfeeding, talk to your doctor before taking this medicine.
- If you become pregnant while taking bromocriptine, call your doctor right away.
- The first dose of bromocriptine may make you dizzy. Take your first dose at a time and place where you can lie down. Be careful when driving or operating machinery.
BROMOCRIPTINE (Oral) (Capsule Side Effects
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Severe dizziness, fainting
- Severe headache
- Severe nausea and vomiting
- Swelling of feet or ankles, leg cramps
- Loss of bladder control If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Dizziness or lightheadedness
- Mild headache
- Confusion, hallucinations
- Dry mouth