BISMUTH/METRONIDAZOLE/TETRACYCLINE (Oral) (Kit)
BISMUTH/METRONIDAZOLE/TETRACYCLINE (Oral) (Kit) Drug and Prescription Information
BISMUTH/METRONIDAZOLE/TETRACYCLINE (Oral) (Kit)
BISMUTH/METRONIDAZOLE/TETRACYCLINE (Oral) (Kit) Medication Classification
BISMUTH/METRONIDAZOLE/TETRACYCLINE (By mouth)
BISMUTH/METRONIDAZOLE/TETRACYCLINE (Oral) (Kit) Brandname
BISMUTH/METRONIDAZOLE/TETRACYCLINE (Oral) (Kit) is used for the Treatment
Treats a stomach infection (H pylori) that causes ulcers. This medicine is a combination of antibiotics.
When To Not Use BISMUTH/METRONIDAZOLE/TETRACYCLINE (Oral) (Kit)
You should not use this medicine if you have had an allergic reaction to bismuth (Pepto-Bismol®), metronidazole (Flagyl®), any tetracycline antibiotic (doxycycline, minocycline), or aspirin. Do not use if you are pregnant or breastfeeding or have kidney disease or liver disease. Children should not take this medicine, especially while recovering from chicken pox or flu.
How Should You Use BISMUTH/METRONIDAZOLE/TETRACYCLINE (Oral) (Kit)
Tablet, Chewable Tablet, Capsule
- Your doctor will tell you how much of this medicine to take and how often. Do not take more medicine or take it more often than your doctor tells you to.
- Pay attention to how to take each different medicine. Completely chew and swallow the pink bismuth tablets. Swallow the metronidazole tablet and the tetracycline capsule whole with a full glass (8 ounces) of water. Do not chew, crush, or break.
- This medicine comes with patient instructions. Read and follow these instructions carefully. Ask your doctor or pharmacist if you have any questions.
- Keep using this medicine for the full treatment time, even if you feel better after the first few doses. Your infection may not clear up if you stop using the medicine too soon.
- Never share your medicine with anyone. If a dose is missed:
- If you miss a dose or forget to take your medicine, take it as soon as you can. If it is almost time for your next dose, wait until then to take the medicine and skip the missed dose. Do not use extra medicine to make up for a missed dose.
Proper BISMUTH/METRONIDAZOLE/TETRACYCLINE (Oral) (Kit) Storage
Store BISMUTH/METRONIDAZOLE/TETRACYCLINE (Oral) (Kit) at room temperature away from sunlight and moisture unless otherwise stated by manufacturer's instructions or labelling. Keep BISMUTH/METRONIDAZOLE/TETRACYCLINE (Oral) (Kit) and all medications out of the reach of children.
What To Avoid While Using BISMUTH/METRONIDAZOLE/TETRACYCLINE (Oral) (Kit)
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
- Make sure your doctor knows if you are also using aspirin, lithium, probenecid (Benemid®), sulfinpyrazone (Anturan®), penicillin, Tagamet®, an antacid (such as Maalox®, Rolaids®, Alka-Seltzer®), supplements containing iron or zinc, a blood thinner such as warfarin (Coumadin®), diabetes medicine (insulin or oral medicine such as Avandia®, Glucophage®), or medicine for seizures (such as Dilantin®, Luminal®).
- Avoid taking this medicine with milk or other dairy products.
- Birth control pills may not work while you are using Helidac®. To keep from getting pregnant, use another form of birth control such as condoms, a diaphragm, or contraceptive foam or jelly.
- Do not drink alcohol while you are using this Helidac® and for at least 1 day after you stop using it. Tell your doctor if you are currently taking disulfiram (Antabuse®) or have taken any in the last two weeks.
BISMUTH/METRONIDAZOLE/TETRACYCLINE (Oral) (Kit) Warnings
- Make sure your doctor knows if you have nerve problems or Crohn's disease, or a history of bleeding problems.
- Stop using this medicine and call your doctor right away if you have a seizure or numbness, tingling, or burning pain in your hands, arms, legs, or feet.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they get worse, call your doctor.
- This medicine may make your skin more sensitive to sunlight. Use a sunscreen when you are outdoors. Avoid sunlamps and tanning beds.
- Make sure any doctor or dentist who treats you knows that you are using this medicine. This medicine may affect the results of certain medical tests.
BISMUTH/METRONIDAZOLE/TETRACYCLINE (Oral) (Kit) Side Effects
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Allergic reaction: Itching or hives, swelling in your face or hands, swelling or tingling in your mouth or throat, chest tightness, trouble breathing
- Headache, blurred vision
- Skin rash or redness
- Unusual bleeding, bruising, or weakness If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Dark or black tongue, black stools
- Nausea, diarrhea, stomach pain, loss of appetite, constipation, bad taste in your mouth
- Vaginal itching or discharge