Biotussin DAC (Oral)
Biotussin DAC (Oral) Drug and Prescription Information
Biotussin DAC (Oral)
Biotussin DAC (Oral) Medication Classification
NARCOTIC-ANTITUSSIVE/EXPECTORANT/DECONGESTANT (By mouth)
Biotussin DAC (Oral) Brandname
Tussafed-HC, Biotussin DAC, Nucodine Pediatric, Phenhist Expectorant, Phenylhistine Expectorant, Cheratussin DAC, Sudatuss-2, Sudatuss-SF, Dihistine Expectorant, Halotussin DAC, Novadyne Expectorant, Tuss-Ax, Nalex Expectorant, Tussadur-HD, Decotuss-HD
Biotussin DAC (Oral) is used for the Treatment
Treats cough and stuffy nose caused by throat irritation or the common cold, and loosens mucus in the throat. This medicine is a combination that contains a narcotic cough suppressant.
When To Not Use Biotussin DAC (Oral)
You should not use this medicine if you have had an allergic reaction to any cold or cough medicine, codeine, hydrocodone, or any narcotic pain medicine such as Darvocet®, Percocet®, Demerol®, Roxicodone®.
How Should You Use Biotussin DAC (Oral)
- Your doctor will tell you how much of this medicine to take and how often. Do not take more medicine or take it more often than your doctor tells you to.
- Measure the oral liquid medicine with a marked measuring spoon or medicine cup.
- Never share your medicine with anyone. If a dose is missed:
- If you miss a dose or forget to take your medicine, take it as soon as you can. If it is almost time for your next dose, wait until then to take the medicine and skip the missed dose. Do not use extra medicine to make up for a missed dose.
Proper Biotussin DAC (Oral) Storage
Store Biotussin DAC (Oral) at room temperature away from sunlight and moisture unless otherwise stated by manufacturer's instructions or labelling. Keep Biotussin DAC (Oral) and all medications out of the reach of children.
What To Avoid While Using Biotussin DAC (Oral)
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
- Make sure your doctor knows if you are also using diet pills, medicine for depression (such as amitriptyline, imipramine, Norpramin®, Vivactil®), narcotic medicine (such as naltrexone, Nubain®, Stadol®, Revia®), or an MAO Inhibitor (Eldepryl®, Marplan®, Nardil®, Parnate®).
- Make sure your doctor knows if you are using any medicines that make you sleepy (such as sleeping pills, cold and allergy medicine, narcotic pain relievers, or sedatives). Do not drink alcohol while you are using this medicine.
Biotussin DAC (Oral) Warnings
- Make sure your doctor knows if you are pregnant or breastfeeding, or if you have Addison's disease, asthma or other breathing problems, diabetes, gallbladder disease, glaucoma, heart disease, high blood pressure, kidney disease, liver disease, problems with urination, stomach or intestinal problems, thyroid disorder, or if you will be having any surgery. Tell your doctor if you have a history of stroke, seizures, head injury, mental illness, alcohol abuse, or drug abuse.
- This medicine may be habit-forming. If you feel that the medicine is not working as well, do not take more than your prescribed dose. Call your doctor for instructions. Symptoms of an overdose include: Extreme dizziness or weakness, shortness of breath, slow heartbeat, seizures, and cold, clammy skin.
- This medicine may make you dizzy or drowsy. Avoid driving, using machines, or doing anything else that could be dangerous if you are not alert.
- Make sure any doctor or dentist who treats you knows that you are using this medicine. This medicine may affect the results of certain medical tests.
- Call your doctor if your symptoms do not improve after using this medicine for a few days. Call your doctor if you also have a high fever or sore throat.
Biotussin DAC (Oral) Side Effects
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Allergic reaction: Itching or hives, swelling in your face or hands, swelling or tingling in your mouth or throat, chest tightness, and trouble breathing
- Blistering, peeling, red skin rash
- Decrease in how much or how often you urinate
- Fast, pounding, or irregular heartbeat
- Severe confusion or weakness, ongoing headache, or shallow breathing If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Blurred vision
- Feelings of extreme happiness or sadness, or trouble sleeping
- Mild skin rash or itching
- Muscle weakness
- Nausea, vomiting, constipation, or dry mouth