Bio-Cef (Oral) Drug and Prescription Information
Bio-Cef (Oral) Medication Classification
CEPHALEXIN (By mouth)
Bio-Cef (Oral) Brandname
Keflex, Keftab, Bio-Cef
Bio-Cef (Oral) is used for the Treatment
Cephalexin (sef-a-LEX-in) Treats bacterial infections.Belongs to a class of drugs called cephalosporin antibiotics.
When To Not Use Bio-Cef (Oral)
You should not use this medicine if you have ever had an allergic reaction to cephalosporin medicine such as Ceclor®, Velosef®, or Suprax®.
How Should You Use Bio-Cef (Oral)
Capsule, Tablet, Liquid
- Your doctor will tell you how much to take and how often.
- You may take your medicine with food or milk to avoid stomach upset.
- Shake the oral liquid well each time you use it.
- Measure your oral liquid dose carefully with a measuring spoon or a medicine cup.
- Keep taking your medicine unless your doctor tells you to stop, even if you feel better. If you stop taking this medicine too soon, your infection may come back. If a dose is missed:
- Take your medicine as soon as you remember that you have missed your dose.
- If it is almost time for your next dose, wait until then to take the medicine and skip the missed dose.
- You should not use two doses at one time.
Proper Bio-Cef (Oral) Storage
Store Bio-Cef (Oral) at room temperature away from sunlight and moisture unless otherwise stated by manufacturer's instructions or labelling. Keep Bio-Cef (Oral) and all medications out of the reach of children.
What To Avoid While Using Bio-Cef (Oral)
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
- Make sure your doctor knows if you are taking birth control pills or probenecid (Benemid®, ColBENEMID®) while taking cephalexin.
Bio-Cef (Oral) Warnings
- Before taking this medicine, let your doctor know if you have ever had an allergic reaction to penicillin medicines.
- If you have severe diarrhea while taking cephalexin, check with your doctor before taking medicine to stop the diarrhea.
- Cefalexin may cause incorrect results with some urine sugar tests used by patients with diabetes.
- If you are pregnant or breastfeeding, talk to your doctor before taking this medicine.
Bio-Cef (Oral) Side Effects
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Rash or hives
- Swelling of the face, throat, or lips
- Wheezing or trouble breathing
- Severe diarrhea (watery or bloody)
- Severe stomach pain or vomiting
- Blistering or peeling skin If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Mild diarrhea
- Sore mouth or tongue
- Vaginal itching or discharge
- Joint aches and pains