AZITHROMYCIN (Oral) (Tablet)
Questions | Reviews
I have a 2 and half year son who has a terrible cough where u can hear a lot of fluids when he coughs, took him to the doctor and the doctor prescribed azithromycin along w/ h c tussive. My question is what is the azithromycin used for? What exactly i...
by Celeta in Erie, Pa, 07/22/2006
I have been taking azithromycin for 3 days now and today I noticed that my neck is sore in the back.Also,my throat feels alittle tight at times. Maybe I am being paranoid because I had a reaction to septra and ended up in the e.r. How fast is the reac...
by kim in mn, 01/15/2006
The instructions on the box I received this prescription in had a sticker saying: "Do not take with antacids." I didn't see that before I had already taken a Zantac tablet 150 mg. I have a very hard time when taking antibiotics, I have e...
by Terri in Irvine, CA, 03/16/2007
I was wondering whether or not this Azithromycin zpak is used to treat strep throat? Also if strep throat can cause a woman to get an UTI from oral sex?
by Tasha in United States, 02/19/2007
AZITHROMYCIN (Oral) (Tablet) Drug and Prescription Information
AZITHROMYCIN (Oral) (Tablet)
AZITHROMYCIN (Oral) (Tablet) Medication Classification
AZITHROMYCIN (By mouth)
AZITHROMYCIN (Oral) (Tablet) Brandname
Zithromax Z-Pak, Zithromax, Zithromax Tri-Pak
AZITHROMYCIN (Oral) (Tablet) is used for the Treatment
Azithromycin (az-ith-roe-MYE-sin) Treats infections caused by bacteria. This medicine is a macrolide antibiotic.
When To Not Use AZITHROMYCIN (Oral) (Tablet)
You should not use this medicine if you have had an allergic reaction to azithromycin, erythromycin, or any other macrolide antibiotic.
How Should You Use AZITHROMYCIN (Oral) (Tablet)
Tablet, Powder, Liquid
- Your doctor will tell you how much of this medicine to use and how often. Do not use more medicine or use it more often than your doctor tells you to.
- You may take this medicine with or without food.
- To use the powder, open one packet and pour all of the medicine from the packet into about 2 ounces of water. Mix well and drink the medicine right away. Rinse the glass with another 2 ounces of water, and drink that too so you get all of the medicine.
- Measure the oral liquid medicine with a marked measuring spoon, oral syringe, or medicine cup. Shake the bottle well before measuring the medicine. Rinse the spoon or oral syringe with water when you are finished.
- Keep using this medicine for the full treatment time, even if you feel better after the first few doses. Your infection may not clear up if you stop using the medicine too soon. If a dose is missed:
- If you miss a dose or forget to use your medicine, use it as soon as you can. If it is almost time for your next dose, wait until then to use the medicine and skip the missed dose. Do not use extra medicine to make up for a missed dose.
Proper AZITHROMYCIN (Oral) (Tablet) Storage
Store AZITHROMYCIN (Oral) (Tablet) at room temperature away from sunlight and moisture unless otherwise stated by manufacturer's instructions or labelling. Keep AZITHROMYCIN (Oral) (Tablet) and all medications out of the reach of children.
What To Avoid While Using AZITHROMYCIN (Oral) (Tablet)
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
- Make sure your doctor knows if you are also using theophylline, digoxin (Lanoxin®), triazolam (Halcion®), terfenadine (Seldane®), cyclosporine (Sandimmune®, Neoral®), a blood thinner such as warfarin (Coumadin®), ergot medicines (such as Cafergot® or Wigraine®), or medicine for seizures (such as carbamazepine, Tegretol®, phenytoin, Dilantin®).
- Do not take antacids that contain aluminum or magnesium (such as Di-Gel®, Gaviscon®, Gelusil®, Maalox®, Mylanta®, Phillips®, Tempo®) at the same time you take azithromycin.
AZITHROMYCIN (Oral) (Tablet) Warnings
- Make sure your doctor knows if you are pregnant or breast feeding, or if you have kidney disease, liver disease, cystic fibrosis, heart rhythm problems, or problems with your immune system. Tell your doctor if you have had your spleen removed.
- If you have severe diarrhea, ask your doctor before taking any medicine to stop the diarrhea.
- This medicine may make your skin more sensitive to sunlight. Use a sunscreen when you are outdoors. Avoid sunlamps and tanning beds.
AZITHROMYCIN (Oral) (Tablet) Side Effects
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Allergic reaction: Itching or hives, swelling in your face or hands, swelling or tingling in your mouth or throat, chest tightness, trouble breathing.
- Blistering, peeling, red skin rash.
- Dark-colored urine or pale stools.
- Fast, slow, or uneven heartbeats.
- Nausea, vomiting, loss of appetite, pain in your upper stomach.
- Severe diarrhea (watery or bloody).
- Yellowing of your skin or the whites of your eyes. If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Loss of appetite.
- Mild skin rash or itching.
- Sores or white patches on your lips, mouth, or throat.
- Stomach upset.
- Vaginal itching or discharge.