AZELASTINE (Nasal) (Spray)
AZELASTINE (Nasal) (Spray) Drug and Prescription Information
AZELASTINE (Nasal) (Spray)
AZELASTINE (Nasal) (Spray) Medication Classification
AZELASTINE (Into the nose)
AZELASTINE (Nasal) (Spray) Brandname
Astelin, Astelin Ready-Spray
AZELASTINE (Nasal) (Spray) is used for the Treatment
Azelastine (a-ZEL-as-teen) Treats runny nose, stuffy head, sneezing, and nasal itching.
When To Not Use AZELASTINE (Nasal) (Spray)
You should not use this medicine if you have had an allergic reaction to azelastine.
How Should You Use AZELASTINE (Nasal) (Spray)
- Your doctor will tell you how much of this medicine to use and how often. Do not use more medicine or use it more often than your doctor tells you to.
- This medicine comes with patient instructions. Read and follow these instructions carefully. Ask your doctor or pharmacist if you have any questions.
- This medicine is for use only in the nose. Do not get any of it in your eyes or on your skin. If it does get on these areas, rinse it off right away.
- If you are using the nasal spray for the first time, you will need to prime the spray. To do this, pump the bottle until some of the medicine sprays out. Now it is ready to use. Prime the spray after each time you clean the pump, or if you have not used the medicine for 3 days or longer.
- Before using the medicine, gently blow your nose to clear the nostrils.
- Never share your medicine with anyone. If a dose is missed:
- If you miss a dose or forget to use your medicine, use it as soon as you can. If it is almost time for your next dose, wait until then to use the medicine and skip the missed dose.
- Do not use extra medicine to make up for a missed dose.
Proper AZELASTINE (Nasal) (Spray) Storage
Store AZELASTINE (Nasal) (Spray) at room temperature away from sunlight and moisture unless otherwise stated by manufacturer's instructions or labelling. Keep AZELASTINE (Nasal) (Spray) and all medications out of the reach of children.
What To Avoid While Using AZELASTINE (Nasal) (Spray)
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
- Make sure your doctor knows if you are also using other antihistamines or Tagamet®.
- Make sure your doctor knows if you are using any medicines that make you sleepy (such as sleeping pills, cold and allergy medicine, narcotic pain killers, or sedatives).
- Do not drink alcohol while you are using this medicine.
AZELASTINE (Nasal) (Spray) Warnings
- Make sure your doctor knows if you are pregnant or breastfeeding.
- This medicine may make you drowsy. Avoid driving, using machines, or doing anything else that could be dangerous if you are not alert.
AZELASTINE (Nasal) (Spray) Side Effects
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Allergic reaction: Itching or hives, swelling in face or hands, swelling or tingling in the mouth or throat, tightness in chest, wheezing or trouble breathing If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Bitter or bad taste in your mouth
- Burning or stinging in your nose
- Increased cough, sneezing, stuffy nose
- Redness of the eyelids
- Weight gain