Adalat CC (Oral)
Adalat CC (Oral) Drug and Prescription Information
Adalat CC (Oral)
Adalat CC (Oral) Medication Classification
NIFEDIPINE (By mouth)
Adalat CC (Oral) Brandname
Adalat CC, Procardia XL, Procardia, Nifedical XL, Afeditab CR, Nifediac CC
Adalat CC (Oral) is used for the Treatment
Nifedipine (nye-FED-i-peen) Treats high blood pressure and chest pain (angina). This medicine is a calcium channel blocker.
When To Not Use Adalat CC (Oral)
You should not use this medicine if you have had an allergic reaction to nifedipine or to similar medicines (such as verapamil, Calan®, Cardizem®, Lotrel®, Plendil®), if you have recently had a heart attack, or if you have a heart condition called aortic stenosis (narrowing of a valve in your heart).
How Should You Use Adalat CC (Oral)
Capsule, Liquid Filled Capsule, Long Acting Tablet
- Your doctor will tell you how much of this medicine to take and how often. Do not take more medicine or take it more often than your doctor tells you to.
- It is best to take this medicine on an empty stomach.
- Swallow the capsule or tablet whole; do not break, crush, or chew it.
- While taking the extended-release form of this medicine, part of the tablet may pass into your stools after your body has absorbed the medicine. This is normal and is nothing to worry about. If a dose is missed:
- If you miss a dose or forget to take your medicine, take it as soon as you can. If it is almost time for your next dose, wait until then to take the medicine and skip the missed dose.
- Do not use extra medicine to make up for a missed dose.
Proper Adalat CC (Oral) Storage
Store Adalat CC (Oral) at room temperature away from sunlight and moisture unless otherwise stated by manufacturer's instructions or labelling. Keep Adalat CC (Oral) and all medications out of the reach of children.
What To Avoid While Using Adalat CC (Oral)
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
- There are many other medicines that can interact with nifedipine. Make sure your doctor knows about ALL other medicines you are using. This includes over-the-counter medicines that can increase your blood pressure (such as diet pills, cold and allergy medicines, or asthma medicines).
- Do not drink alcohol while you are using this medicine.
- Do not eat grapefruit or drink grapefruit juice while you are using this medicine.
Adalat CC (Oral) Warnings
- Make sure your doctor knows if you are pregnant or breastfeeding, or if you have heart failure, stomach problems, liver disease, kidney disease, or coronary artery disease.
- This medicine may make you dizzy or lightheaded. Avoid driving, using machines, or doing anything else that could be dangerous if you are not alert.
- Do not stop using this medicine suddenly without asking your doctor. You may need to slowly decrease your dose before stopping it completely.
- Make sure any doctor or dentist who treats you knows that you are taking nifedipine. You may need to stop using this medicine several days before having surgery.
Adalat CC (Oral) Side Effects
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Chest pain (may be related to your disease and not a side effect)
- Fast, irregular, or pounding heartbeat
- Skin rash
- Swelling in the ankles or feet
- Unusual tiredness or weakness
- Wheezing or trouble breathing If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Dizziness or lightheadedness
- Flushing or feeling warm
- Nausea or stomach discomfort
- Runny or stuffy nose