Actigall (Oral) Drug and Prescription Information
Actigall (Oral) Medication Classification
URSODIOL (By mouth)
Actigall (Oral) Brandname
Urso 250, Urso, Actigall
Actigall (Oral) is used for the Treatment
Ursodiol (ER-soe-dye-ole) Dissolves certain kinds of gallstones in the body when they cannot be removed by surgery. Also treats primary biliary cirrhosis, a liver disorder.
When To Not Use Actigall (Oral)
You should not use this medicine if you have had an allergic reaction to ursodiol or other bile acids.
How Should You Use Actigall (Oral)
- Your doctor will tell you how much of this medicine to use and how often. Do not use more medicine or use it more often than your doctor tells you to.
- It is best to take this medicine with food or milk.
- Keep using the medicine for your full treatment time. It may take several months for the medicine to dissolve gallstones. If a dose is missed:
- If you miss a dose or forget to use your medicine, use it as soon as you can. If it is almost time for your next dose, wait until then to use the medicine and skip the missed dose. Do not use extra medicine to make up for a missed dose.
Proper Actigall (Oral) Storage
Store Actigall (Oral) at room temperature away from sunlight and moisture unless otherwise stated by manufacturer's instructions or labelling. Keep Actigall (Oral) and all medications out of the reach of children.
What To Avoid While Using Actigall (Oral)
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
- Make sure your doctor knows if you are also using estrogen, birth control pills, or clofibrate, cholestyramine (Questran®) or colestipol (Colestid®), or other medicine to lower cholesterol.
- You should not use antacids that contain aluminum (ALternaGEL®, Maalox®, Mylanta®, and others) while you are using ursodiol.
Actigall (Oral) Warnings
- Make sure your doctor knows if you are pregnant or breastfeeding, or if you have other liver problems or pancreas inflammation.
- Your doctor will need to check your progress at regular visits while you are using this medicine. Be sure to keep all appointments.
Actigall (Oral) Side Effects
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Severe stomach pain especially on the right upper side
- Severe nausea and vomiting If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Diarrhea, constipation, or gas
- Indigestion or a metallic taste in the mouth
- Itching, dry skin or hair thinning