Acticin (Topical) Drug and Prescription Information
Acticin (Topical) Medication Classification
PERMETHRIN (On the skin)
Acticin (Topical) Brandname
Acticin, Elimite, Permethrin, Nix Creme Rinse
Acticin (Topical) is used for the Treatment
Permethrin (per-METH-rin) Treats head lice and scabies.
When To Not Use Acticin (Topical)
You should not use this medicine if you have had an allergic reaction to permethrin or to chrysanthemum plants.
How Should You Use Acticin (Topical)
- Use this medicine exactly as your doctor ordered. Use the medicine on the skin only. Keep the medicine out of eyes, nose, and mouth. If the medicine gets in your eyes, rinse them well with water.
- Shake lotion well before using.
- For hair: Before using permethrin, shampoo, rinse, and dry your hair. Apply permethrin lotion generously, covering all areas of your scalp. Follow label directions for length of time permethrin should be left on the scalp.
- Rinse your hair with water and dry with a clean towel. Comb hair with fine-toothed comb to remove eggs. They look like small white dots.
- For skin: Thoroughly rub the cream into your skin from your head to the soles of your feet. Leave cream on for 8 to 12 hours. Then wash it off using a generous amount of soap and water. If a dose is missed:
- If you think you need another treatment, talk to your doctor.
- Throw away any unused medicine.
Proper Acticin (Topical) Storage
Store Acticin (Topical) at room temperature away from sunlight and moisture unless otherwise stated by manufacturer's instructions or labelling. Keep Acticin (Topical) and all medications out of the reach of children.
What To Avoid While Using Acticin (Topical)Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
Acticin (Topical) Warnings
- Check with your doctor before using permethrin if your scalp is already red and inflamed.
- Talk with your doctor before use if you are pregnant or breastfeeding.
- This medicine is not recommended for infants less than 2 months of age.
- Call your doctor if your eyebrows or eyelashes are affected.
- All members of your household should be checked, because lice are easily spread from one person to another.
- To prevent re-infection: Wash your clothes, bedding, and personal items (including washcloths, towels, hats, scarves, combs, brushes, wigs, hairpieces) in hot soapy water.
Acticin (Topical) Side Effects
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Wheezing or trouble breathing
- Severe skin rash, itching, or hives
- Severe burning of the scalp If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Itching, redness or swelling of the skin or scalp
- Mild stinging or burning of skin or scalp