Abilify (Oral) Drug and Prescription Information
Abilify (Oral) Medication Classification
ARIPIPRAZOLE (By mouth)
Abilify (Oral) Brandname
Abilify (Oral) is used for the Treatment
Aripiprazole (ay-ri-PIP-ray-zole) Treats schizophrenia. This medicine is an antipsychotic.
When To Not Use Abilify (Oral)
You should not use this medicine if you have had an allergic reaction to aripiprazole.
How Should You Use Abilify (Oral)
- Your doctor will tell you how much of this medicine to use and how often. Do not use more medicine or use it more often than your doctor tells you to. If a dose is missed:
- If you miss a dose or forget to use your medicine, use it as soon as you can. If it is almost time for your next dose, wait until then to use the medicine and skip the missed dose.
- Do not use extra medicine to make up for a missed dose.
Proper Abilify (Oral) Storage
Store Abilify (Oral) at room temperature away from sunlight and moisture unless otherwise stated by manufacturer's instructions or labelling. Keep Abilify (Oral) and all medications out of the reach of children.
What To Avoid While Using Abilify (Oral)
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
- Make sure your doctor knows if you are also using blood pressure medicine (such as atenolol, metoprolol, verapamil, Adalat®, Cardizem®, Cardura®, Hytrin®, Plendil®, Procardia®, Toprol®), medicine for seizures (such as carbamazepine, Dilantin®, Tegretol®), medicine to treat fungal infections (such as itraconazole, ketoconazole, Sporanox®), medicine for depression (such as Luvox®, Paxil®, Prozac®, Zoloft®), or medicine to treat abnormal heart rhythm (such as disopyramide, quinidine, Norpace®, Quinaglute®, Quinidex®).
- Tell your doctor if you stop using any medicines while you are using aripiprazole, because your dose may need to be changed.
- Tell your doctor if you are using any medicines that make you sleepy. These include sleeping pills, cold and allergy medicine, narcotic pain relievers, and sedatives.
- Do not drink alcohol while you are using this medicine.
Abilify (Oral) Warnings
- Make sure your doctor knows if you are pregnant or breastfeeding, or if you have heart disease, blood vessel disease, Alzheimer's disease, or a history of heart attack, stroke, or seizures.
- This medicine may make you dizzy or drowsy. Avoid driving, using machines, or doing anything else that could be dangerous if you are not alert.
- You may get overheated more easily while you are using this medicine. Be careful if you exercise heavily or are in high heat or humidity. Drink plenty of water every day.
Abilify (Oral) Side Effects
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Fever, sweating, confusion, irregular heartbeat, muscle stiffness
- Jerky muscle movements you cannot control (often in your face, tongue, or jaw).
- Lightheadedness or fainting
- Trouble breathing
- Trouble swallowing If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Nausea, vomiting
- Trouble sleeping
- Weight gain