ABACAVIR (Oral) (Tablet)
We don't currently have any questions about ABACAVIR (Oral) (Tablet).
ABACAVIR (Oral) (Tablet) Drug and Prescription Information
ABACAVIR (Oral) (Tablet)
ABACAVIR (Oral) (Tablet) Medication Classification
ABACAVIR (By mouth)
ABACAVIR (Oral) (Tablet) Brandname
ABACAVIR (Oral) (Tablet) is used for the Treatment
Abacavir (a-BAK-a-veer) Treats human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) infection. HIV causes acquired immune deficiency syndrome (AIDS). This medicine does not cure HIV or AIDS, but combinations of drugs may slow the progress of the disease.
When To Not Use ABACAVIR (Oral) (Tablet)
You should not use this medicine if you have had an allergic reaction to abacavir.
How Should You Use ABACAVIR (Oral) (Tablet)
- Your doctor will tell you how much of this medicine to take and how often. Do not take more medicine or take it more often than your doctor tells you to.
- Abacavir is taken with other medicines to treat HIV infection. Take all other medicines your doctor has prescribed as part of your combination treatment.
- You may take the medicine with or without food. Measure the oral liquid medicine with a marked oral syringe, measuring spoon, or medicine cup.
- Never share your medicine with anyone. If a dose is missed:
- If you miss a dose or forget to take your medicine, take it as soon as you can. If it is almost time for your next dose, wait until then to take the medicine and skip the missed dose. Do not use extra medicine to make up for a missed dose.
Proper ABACAVIR (Oral) (Tablet) Storage
Store ABACAVIR (Oral) (Tablet) at room temperature away from sunlight and moisture unless otherwise stated by manufacturer's instructions or labelling. Keep ABACAVIR (Oral) (Tablet) and all medications out of the reach of children.
What To Avoid While Using ABACAVIR (Oral) (Tablet)
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
- Make sure your doctor knows if you are also using methadone. Do not drink alcohol while you are using abacavir. Tell your doctor about any other medicines you have taken in the past for HIV or AIDS.
ABACAVIR (Oral) (Tablet) Warnings
- Make sure your doctor knows if you are pregnant, or if you have liver disease.
- You should not breastfeed if you have HIV or AIDS, because you may give the infection to your baby through your breast milk.
- Stop taking this medicine and call your doctor right away if you notice a skin rash, or if you have 2 or more of the following groups of symptoms. These may be signs of a life-threatening allergic reaction to the medicine:
- Nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, or stomach pain
- Severe tiredness, aching, or general ill feeling
- Sore throat, shortness of breath, or cough
- Ask your pharmacist for a Medication Guide and a Warning Card listing the symptoms of an allergic reaction. Carry the card with you at all times.
- If you must stop taking abacavir because of an allergic reaction, you should never use the medicine again. A worse reaction, possibly even death, can occur if you take the medicine again. Return the unused medicine to your doctor or pharmacist.
- This medicine will not keep you from giving HIV to your partner during sex. Make sure you understand and practice safe sex, even if your partner also has HIV. Do not share needles with anyone.
ABACAVIR (Oral) (Tablet) Side Effects
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Allergic reaction: Itching or hives, swelling in your face or hands, swelling or tingling in your mouth or throat, chest tightness, trouble breathing
- Extreme weakness, tiredness, or confusion
- Lightheadedness or fainting
- Numbness, tingling, or burning pain in your hands, arms, legs, or feet
- Rapid breathing or trouble breathing, nausea and vomiting
- Swelling in your hands, ankles, or feet If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Headache, loss of appetite
- Mild nausea, vomiting, trouble sleeping
- Muscle or joint pain
- Unusual weight gain or increased body fat in some part of your body